We find creating timelines of our experiences very useful. It opens up for great discussions and helps us see our past on paper and what we want in the future. Thats why we want to share and encourage you to try it.
A roll of paper, post-its and marker pens.
Build a timeline and map out your highs and lows of this year
- Roll out a long piece of paper. Write the months (January to December) at the very top of the paper. (see image below)
- Each individual start to draw their personal timeline. Write your name where your line begins and start mapping out your highs and lows over the year. You can include performance highlights and lowlights, as well as insights, emotional highs and lows, challenges, successes, frustrations, stories, surprises, situations, learnings, and anything else that meant something. You decide what level you want to bring to the timeline. Personal highs and lows often go hand in hand with frustrations and successes.
- When you’re done, take a step back, observe your timeline.
Reflect upon your highs and lows
- Take 10–15 minutes to reflect upon your individual highest and lowest periods.
- What can I do to prevent lows to occur?
- What do I need from the team when it happens?
- What do I feel when the highs occurs, and how can I sustain them?
- Share your reflections and feelings from the year with everyone in the group. Look at your line and tell the stories behind your highlights and lowlights.
Set up goals for 2016
- Based on your previous reflection, take another 10 minutes to reflect upon what actions you should take to maximize your highs and minimize your lows.
- Share your goals with the group.
- Check out and admire your work.
Tweet us @thepopupagency if you have any further questions or feedback.
Merry x-mas 🎅
// The Pop Up Agency