Preseed E-cell is a space/environment almost wholly powered by the revenues of its E-commerce project titled Preseed Prints. E-commerce, funding, events, farm houses, cafes, boutique hotels, consulting, co-living and co-working spaces is what can be expected out of our brand Preseed Ecell.
(Note -: This note will improve and hence evolve far beyond what it looks like right now, as and when I find time. So far Preseed Ecell is a plausible concept in its completeness, however, here and there, we have done some events around it).
The key highlight of Preseed E-cell is conversations between us and entrepreneurs like you, to say the least, where we discuss how a business should be built tastefully keeping contemporary technology, communication and design sensibilities right at the top. You should rather dig this essay well for we are assuring you that no where in India would you find the kind of environment, education and the educators you will experience in Preseed E-Cell.
All the programmes we want to launch in Preseed E-cell spaces/environment sas we progress, are aimed at, covering the evolution of an idea through all the stages, into a startup. Read about startup stages in this essay I wrote many years ago on Preseed’s fb page and then rewrote recently here on Medium again to publish it here.
We have noticed in our research of the last one year that most of what is being done in the startup ecosystem in India is aimed at those with business plans and not necessarily at people with great minds. And rightly so, if you have a great mind, write a book, but if you have a great plan, build an enterprise, be an entrepreneur.
We believe that the right time to start is when you start, regardless of your age, experience and/or degrees.
Through the programmes listed below, we want to help you build your companies even while you are in college chasing degrees. The applicants of this programme have to register on the portal (coming soon) with certain set of information listed there.
The selected candidates will be invited for the programmes listed below. The link to the application form is towards the end of this essay.
Note-: The goal of our space is not just to steer you to success. The goal is to empower you to believe that you could ‘DO’ before you thought you could. The success may or may not be the reward. The journey is the definite reward. As a by product of this journey you get a chance to experience the power of ‘imagination and freedom’.
So, in short: Expect the Preseed touch
Expect to have the Preseed touch across all the stages mentioned in the link above over a long period of time if you happen to be a great customer of Preseed E-cell. ( You can be a great customer of Preseed E-cell by constantly buying from Preseed Prints, Preseed Ecell’s ecommerce venture )
Further more, I would like to state to you categorically, that we do right what most Indian startups do wrong. Let long term time pass by, and you will see yourself.
Briefly put — This is where most Indian Startups go wrong generally -
- Poor designs — Great designs will make your customers love your organization, not only your product.
- Not harnessing the internet (and social media) — These are powerful, powerful tools. These are game changers. And they continue to ignore it.
- Vaguely defined roles and responsibilities of the team members.
- Uninspired Colleagues — The team is unarguably the most important aspect of your business, and finding talented people who share your vision is arguably the most important and difficult task.
- No crisp vision of the product or the service
- No why — Great organizations have a why, before what and how, a why that converts their customers into patrons.
- Ineffective delegation of tasks.
- Un-optimized resources including the available human resource.
- No Growth hacking — The twisted creative ways of creating growth. This article will lead you to some understanding of this
- Above all — Lack of simplicity.
Preseed Prints — The start
www.PreseedPrints.com is our e-commerce website to sell merchandise to inspire you while you are offline.
Hence, Preseed Prints is also our e-commerce venture to collect profits to start a Preseed Ecell, and its below mentioned programmes/events and a fund that will have the potential to empower the Indian youth like nothing else in the past.
Preseed Prints was started with the philosophy that good quotes visually presented well have greater meaning than the words alone. It has the power to inspire people who are on a quest to achieve something. Words by personalities who have achieved greatness, open a window into their thoughts and their beliefs which helped them become what they are today.
At Preseed, we surround ourselves with good content and inspiring stories which help us keep moving towards our goals. We wanted to put the quotes that we believe in, on merchandises which can help spread the aura of motivation.
When I pitched the idea of Preseed Prints to one of Preseed Prints co-founders Abhijoy, this is what he had to say, “Personally, motivational quotes have had a huge impact on my life. These quotes were the ones which helped me believe in myself and get out of the conventional college-job tradition that we have and pursue what my dreams were made of. They have been the fuel for the courage that made be get over the fear of failure and trust that the journey is more important than the destination”.
The same can be said for people behind Preseed, they too have gone off the traditional track to carve a path of their own. We inject this idea behind every product created by Preseed Prints and hope that many other people like us will get the inspiration to pursue what they love to do.
Here we sell posters. Just simple posters for entrepreneurs. At a sale of every 100th framed poster we invite one entrepreneur among the customers of Preseed prints to live with us for a few days for free. We have started this initiative to support deserving entrepreneurs to stay and work from our space for free for 3 days and 2 nights. Although food will be chargeable. Please apply here with your customer code from Preseed prints to be selected into the this programme.
Some really quick rambling about why Preseed Prints -:
- The inspiration for starting Preseed Prints is deeply rooted in my revenue strategy for Preseed without impacting the function of the rest of Preseed. Hence, the rest of the Preseed can continue to R&D on matters of long term, while Preseed Prints can make some money to put it back into the entrepreneurial ecosystem to aid it with our value system.
- I have always loved good quotes. Good quotes visually presented well have greater meaning than the words alone. Since I personally always surround myself with good content, I have always had the itch to present that content through our various blogs, perhaps, that is why I run so many blogs, infact one of my blogs called No Word Fuck is just about quotes that are not cliche.
- I saw some potential in the business of selling inspirational merchandise and then one day stumbled upon a 500 startups business called Startup Vitamins. It made an impact on my mind in context to the business of such posters and the impact of such posters if they were on the walls around us. I further imagine, why just walls, why should we not consider, so many such mediums as walls, as mediums for lessons and inspirations. Yes, even T-shirts. And almost anything that can be seen as merchandise, can be the medium for knowledge and inspiration.
- Few months later I met Raj, I told him a tad bit about it I guess, then a few months after that I met Rohan and then Saransh(without who Preseed Prints could not have looked good) and then Abhijoy. Soon after I got all of them together on our fb work group dedicated to this idea to kick start things.
- Abhijoy — Also one of the reasons for Preseed Prints occupying a big chunk of my time was that to mentor Abhijoy (earlier Rohan) effectively, I wanted to start them on something very real, and given his love and respect for Preseed, above all, Saransh, and his taste of all things good and their collective passion for doing something extra ordinary; I knew this was the opportunity that will have Abhijoy channeled well into Saransh’s skills, soulfully, towards the larger goal of bringing them to be great co workers of mine for bigger greater things in the future in Preseed Ecell.
In short, Preseed Prints revenue will help Preseed E-cell start and sustain itself on this profound journey filled with inspiration and experiments of all kind, while sharing through it’s media network, all those values learnt, even among those who did not get the opportunity to get selected by us.
Preseed E-cell Spaces and Events
Now lets dive deeper into this. This is what we are creating Preseed Ecell for first, to aid you inside of.
Here education through entrepreneurship for empowerment happens through spaces, unlike classrooms or offices for employment.
Imagine a place for extra-ordinary people who have full access to their dreams. All the resources are made available to them and they have all the freedom to bring out the best in them. Yes, we are talking about a co-living for extra-ordinary people.
We would like to build a community of all those crazy talented individuals who when pulled together can produce revolutionary technology products. We will choose those best ones from our campaigns and provide them a platform through a co-living and co-working away from the city, even if within a city. Such will be the environment and surroundings of such a place.
Another co-founder of Preseed Prints, Paras Pundir, has this to say after understanding my vision and launch strategy of it, “We strongly believe that there is a need of this unique kind of community in India. Many will be there who would like to become a part of this revolution and from there comes the idea of crowdfunding this campaign with the best content and networks. Mostly it will be provided by Nishchal. We will run this campaign over one of the best crowdfunding platform called Indiegogo. We plan to make this campaign reach more than one lakh appropriate people in India.
About myself, having a keen interest in building communities and helping people to bring out their best, I’ll be taking care of all the marketing and community building activities. In past, I have built few most engaging communities from the scratch say a community of Product Managers, Quality Analysts, UX designers, Community Managers, footballers and a little more. I have been helping other startups and community persons in keeping their big communities alive. I would be very much interested in this community of extra-ordinaries”.
Preseed E-cell Spaces
In today’s age of simple and well designed web tools for collaboration, if one starts using them well, no one would really require to book office spaces when they are a team of 2–3 working out of their homes. However, each in the team needs to be intrinsically motivated to do so. Remote working is the future of boundless collaborations.
Am I saying that people don’t need offices? I am saying that people don’t need offices prematurely. They need offices when absolutely necessary. Otherwise, they should just bootstrap their style of work.
When it becomes absolutely necessary they should come and spend sometime at a place like Preseed E-cell Spaces.
We are helping build this space further with a simple thought in our minds, that if about over 50 crazy ones who are building things with us are placed under one roof every single day, an incredible amount of learning can take place.
We really do feel that working in isolation of the vibe of the progressive conversations takes away the possibility of incredibly valuable advise and perspectives.
Preseed E-cell spaces are a proposed cafe, co-working and co-living where you could come and co create with others like you and us. This space is that environment we have always envisioned as a required creative space for a budding entrepreneur. A place where you could come and spend your time collaboratively and creatively at.
Through such space we aim to create an open environment for co creation and innovation. Over a period of time we hope to be the place you brainstormed all stages of your startup at.
In Preseed Ecell spaces, you start, unlike your college where you do everything but start. We clearly believe that entrepreneurship is not something that can be taught in a classroom full of structured courses common for all. Entrepreneurship is a drive that occurs through self motivation arising out of your own story. It can’t be taught by professors at colleges. Here we just hope to create a ‘go to place’ for you where you could start.
Features (this is how we envision the space by June 2018 with the following key elements) –
1. The entrepreneurs — That will be the key contributors to the vibe of that place.
2. The music — Sets the tone of the place. (We will continue to have soulful progressive musical events at our venue)
3. The White Boards and conference rooms — Brainstorming.
4. Internet/wifi — Necessity.
5. The Entrepreneurship Events and startup meetups — Engagement.
6. Advisory — Questions and guidance.
7. Networking with Investors, mentors and most cost effective vendors for your requirement.
8. Fellow Entrepreneurs — The examples and the experience.
9. Access to the Indian startup ecosystem.
10. Yummy meals!!
We only claim that at the least this space is going to end up broadening your perspective on how you want to approach your journey ahead. Having said that, in our hind sight we do believe that, this space will make you feel empowered to start before you thought you could.
The difference between boot camps, Incubators or any other entrepreneurship initiative and Preseed E-cell spaces is that this space is not something that finishes like an event does. Once an event finishes what happens to the ‘Entrepreneur’, where does he go thereafter. Preseed ecell space is a place that remains and you can come here as many times you want. It never finishes on you.
Preseed Ecell Events
Our quarterly talk for students and potential entreprenuers :
This is our introductory talk at our space for audiences of 100s of students. This talk is about the current education system and entrepreneurship possible from within it. It may help the audience consider STARTING upon their own startup ideas sooner than they imagined.
This talk is for everyone who the education system effects or has effected.
This is the link to the talk titled Carpe Diem we launched the concept of Pre talk with in 2012 with.
Here are the photos showing us in action.
Note -: This is a prematurely published rough draft outlining the proposed content for this TALK. Hope you like this tentative draft.
“Art is the expression of imagination and so is Entrepreneurship”
“Imagination is the preview of life’s coming attraction” — Albert Einstein.
This is the theme for this talk — ‘Entrepreneurship, an art form’
The core elements of the TALK (subject to further improvements) —
Part 1 — The flaws in the education system -
1. The truth about the herd factories like many schools and colleges we are subjected to untill we start calling the shots. (BBA, MBA, this, that, really? Why?)
(Industrial Revoultion to Education System). (Education system was designed for a very different kind of a problem). (Age and class system limit us).
2. The additional time spent on unlearning to free the mind of what has been fed into our beliefs about our career and life ahead. This happens almost invariably if you are amongst those who eventually try to question the rules of the game. For the rest it never happens. (The excuse of experience and the envirornment we live and educate in). (The unacceptability of failure in the Indian mindsets)
3. The age of the Internet — (This is what we trust for knowledge). (How much of this revolution is incorporated in our education). (Importance of being able to communicate THROUGH technology). (Importance of being able to communicate WITH technology).
5. Information access — The single best solution to the worlds problem. (How? We have it now. It means something). (Why not a ‘do’ culture, why still an out n out a ‘study’ culture). (I repeat, we already have the information we go to colleges for).
6. The truth about 9am to 5 pm post education — What is that, that really motivates us? Money? May be autonomy, mastery and purpose and we are going to get none of this in the current organisational environment. (The new organisations that are being set up have a lesser controled environment so that situatioin will get better). (Passion kills the idea of time).
You are forced to learn through a system that doesn’t allow you the basic right of learning at your own pace, whatever that is you want to learn.
The good news is that technology exists today to fundamentally change this, and as it evolves, our job becomes to tell you of how you could harness it to gather whatever knowledge you seek.
Part 2 — Entrepreneurship, an act of doing, not studying.
7. Idea — Idea+doing=Entrepreneurship. This is our solution to the problems suggested in Part 1. Starting up is when we start making our own dreamy choices with childlike enthusiasm and curosity. That enthusiasm and curosity are life changing. It makes us want to know rather than be told. That is when education becomes more meaningful. This starts with imagination, runs with imagination and ends with imagination. And as Albert Einstien says, “Imagination is preview of life’s coming attraction”.
8. Student Startups AND BEYOND — (We will tell you about the whole business eco system responsible for helping the startups become large organisations. We will also tell you very briefly about everything else that you need to know about an organisation from funding, branding, designs, marketing, Complexity behind Simplicity, to accounts, IP rights etc. Above all we will tell you about the perspectives of most people we will encounter while on this journey and the relationships we will YET have to build with them).
9. Preseed — An entrepreneurship development initiative. (We will discuss the initiatives we are designing for students so that they all could attempt to startup upon their own ideas before they lose the childlike enthusiasm).
10. A missing creative centre in Delhi-NCR. (We want to build this with your help for you for a revolutionary space in Delhi) (Where do good ideas come from anyway?) (What is that about Silicon Valley that it is the hub of creativity and innovation?) (BTW, can someone tell me why is India poised to be the next big thing when the US has more liberated culture and hence, minds — Is the young Indian population without liberation going to achieve much?)
11. The net cost of a failure. (None really, if you look at it, relative to its benifits. Although, there is a monetory cost associated with a startup failure. That monetory cost may turn out to be smaller than your education bills). (The importance of failure). (The acceptance of failure in our society).
12. India the land of opportunities (Taking students through a journey called ‘entrepreneurship’ in the new age progressive India).
13. You — You could be a musician, painter, writer, thinker, dancer, philosopher, leader, entrepreneur, an adrenalin junkie or a psychedelic junkie, all of it almost in the same breath. You don’t need exams to breath this air. Its got to do something with your soul, your inner voice. Thats what you came with and it could be tuned bact to your actions regardless of your age.
Basically in short, we will tell you about how building a startup is not as difficult as it is projected to be. It shouldn’t just be a privilige of the mentally elite. It should be an experiment each one should do atleast once in our lifetimes.
You may also send us a little write up on your idea which we may take up with you after the TALK.
What do you, Steve Jobs, Martin Luther King and Thomas Edison all have in common? Ideas. We all have them — some big, some small, some good and some bad. Some ideas transform into products and companies. Meanwhile, other ideas become global social and economic movements. And yet another few end up teaching you a new meaning of life.
Note-: We will organise this TALK at not less than 250 students from your city.
In the meanwhile we will add more to this proposed TALK and make it more engaging. Feel free to comment and participate in the making of this TALK
The midwife for your brain child.
The workshop Startup Essentials is inspired by our talk titled Pre talk listed above.
This is a Prefund workshop about ‘thinking business the new age way’
Hear a fancy speaker. Learn a few terms. Get temporarily inspired. Go Home. Forget. Had enough of that?
Try Startup Essentials, an action-oriented workshop from an organization that prides itself in its counter culture.
Part 1- Education
Get Inspired — We tell you why, in today’s era, following the herd is stupid. We tell you why the biggest reason for failing is ‘to not start’.We teach you how to approach the entire process of entrepreneurship the new age way. The lack of this knowledge is the reason why India hasn’t produced companies that the world evangelises like Apple, Twitter, Facebook and many more from the Silicon Valley.
Key elements of this part are -:
Idea,the first step — Learn what is not a good idea. Learn what not to do, and then learn what to do. Don’t get married to your first idea just because you had that idea and you thought it is a cool idea. Get it validated by us, in most cases, you will find your bubble burst with all the reasons you need to know about why your idea may not work.
Simplicity — Simple enough to be spoken about in 1 line. Simple enough to be scaled out of proportion with a very small team. That is what works. Some of the most exciting new companies, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest are based on an idea so simple on the surface that most people could not have fathomed when it must. Also you will notice that if you can’t put your idea simply, then you yourself don’t know about it with clarity. Simplicity is indeed the ultimate sophistication. We have very little appreciation for anything otherwise.
Design — Design is so much more than just how your product and posters look. It is how it works for you and the users both. Think in design.It’s the difference between being good and great. (Tip — Surround yourself with very cool designers)
Perhaps you should also check out weblab.preseed.in to know more on what we have said thus far.
Branding — Do you know that at the end it is the ‘brand’ which matters? Perhaps one of the elements of an organisation building which those with the awareness of humanities more than sciences would know how to do best. It is what will be known of you.
Scaling up — Many entrepreneurs fail at this hurdle. We tell you when and how to scale up, and take your business to the next level. We point out the kind of businesses that are scalable and the kinds that are not.
Culture — The organisation as a whole is made of its culture. Everything else is a gimick from this point of view. Culture is what inspires your employees to innovate and put in their heart and soul for the company. If you can do this right. You can create value far far higher than you probably could have created with everything else the same.
It starts with your spirit, your spirit to be the change to build something more tasteful and meaningful.
Novelty — Newness seldom found in ideas and people we surround ourselves with. To know what we mean here you will either have to read everything we have written so far vis-a-vis our website and various links attached with it or you may have to attend the workshop; or better still, both. You will know then why we say 99% of the things that the Indian Education and Startup Ecosystem offers is leading us all to mediocrity.
Connections — The start-up ecosystem is now highly evolved, and our experience says that ignoring it is foolish. We teach you about this ecosystem and how to best harness it so that you retain your focus to do what you do best.
Slide Deck — Less than 15 minimal slides that should be highly visual, with minimum texts and maximum simple graphics & pictures. Don’t assume your investor will understand all your technical jargon. Present you plan to him as if he were a lay man. Keep it simple.
“This sequence of slides tells a story:
We have a mission and a team that is taking us there. Why? We discovered a large problem and solved it with a product that has this amazing technology inside. We’re going to market and sell it to these customers, with these advantages over our competitors. In particular, we’re working towards these milestones over the next few quarters. Inconclusion, this financing is a great investment opportunity. — Nivi, cofounder Angelist and Venture Hacks.
We will ensure that you understand the importance of each slide on a slide deck so logically that making a slide deck should come naturally to you after this workshop. A slide deck is something that you will need through out the life of your startup for furthering your business relationships with some of your most important potential partners.
To read more on this read my blog post ‘The Slide Deck’.
The ‘Business Plan’ — At such early stages, your business plan is not half as important as your prototype. Nevertheless, we will still give you some perspective on it. We will tell you about the key elements of a fundable business plan.
Information on free collaboration Tools:- We tell you about various tools (Mind meister, murals, facebook groups, facebook pages, blogs, events, product hunt, hacker news, etc. that assist start-ups. Most importantly, we teach you to use the social web products for brain storming, communication and collaboration, the game changer. We will tell you enough that you will start acknowledging that you are empowered with free tools and free information more than you knew of.
Part 2 — Preseed Curated Knowledge
Here we will together view, read and discuss our favourite content on the web on startups, leadership, design, innovation and any other content that resonates with our parent company Preseed’s fundamentals.
This will include a couple of our curated Videos that we really want all of us to not just view but also ponder over together. We will also discuss 10’s of blog posts by the greatest people in the world on topics that we want to bring to your notice.
Most of this we have already showcased on our blog, The Preseed Blog.
Part 3 — Action (Post Workshop)
And now, for the best part.
This workshop is a way of meeting our goal of ‘building great things with people with a will to do something out of the ordinary’. This is how we do it :
- We validate your idea, and where possible, improve it into a progressive thought that can add real scalable value to today’s world and investors alike. Basically, we will add our twist to it, to make it simpler/crispier/sharper.
- Then we give you a set of tasks and engage with you through mere advisory communications and to get you started on your entrepreneurial journey.
- In the process if you show mettle, we will build the proposed business together someday soon.
Everybody who wishes to further interact will be placed within a work group called ‘Startup Essentials’, where any subsequent ideas can be validated and if validated, worked upon, and any future collaborations can be discussed.
Note -: We don’t claim all of you will get the taste of this action. Those who will get the taste of this action will be those who we feel have the ‘spirit and the mind’ that we are looking for to do some ‘Action’ with.
“ Wish to do crazily good work, sometimes all you need is some right set of information and one right man”.
Speaker, curator and mentor — Nishchal Kesarwani
Duration:- Upto 6 Hours
“Listen to the real music in all the noise for there is a lot of noise around the startup scene in India and in all likelihood not all this noise can be music.”
Those who stay in our space for over 6 months depending on what stage of startup they are at, will be assisted as following :
What else can young student customers expect from our regular talks at our property?
We will tell you, most of what we may wish to tell if not 100%, for 100% of what we may wish to tell you may take a really really profound conversation. Not sure if you are ready for that yet.
1. The Flawed Education system you are surrendered with, due to your parents, or peers or by and large, the society; for they did not have enough time or perspective to observe the switch in the functioning of the world in the last 2 decades because of the rise of ‘The Internet’. They can’t possibly fathom the functioning of the world of the next 10 years.
2. The Slavery that you do in the name of your bread and butter at offices that ensure to suck out whatever little creativity remains in you post your journey to fancy educational degrees in the world where drop outs with whims have more value than top managers at MNCs
3. The exaggerated materials we live in the world of including money, mobile phones, beds, cars, A/Cs let alone what is not even considered a necessity.
4. The old fashioned style of toiling to build a business in the community of some really old fashioned friends/consultants/vendors/colleagues/investors and ‘BMW’ owners who think they know it all.
5. The Auto Growth Mode your business gets into when you be the right example for your team, when you give freedom, when you share and collaborate, and when you trust. In short, when you lead well.
Above all when you create or look to create something that could be ‘EVANGELISED’ things become rather automatic.
Share our love fellows we need to be heard by the entire country, may be even the world, someday.
Most importantly: Pedagogue
Much like Preseed Web Lab, Preseed E-cell’s Pedagogue is the exact programme I want to build to ensure that my other ideas also go beyond just me. If it takes the structure I want it to take, most of my ramblings would manifest into organisations.
I spend a lot of time just identifying problems and imagining opportunities & ideas that occur thereafter seeming like solutions to those problems. Sometimes I go ahead to the extent of prototyping that idea (run it for a small group) to test its viability before I could vouch for it.
This initiative is particularly designed to assist those who are able enough to be considered to be equity partners@these ideas that are fulfilling the following criteria —
1. Viable ideas.
2. We have already either tested or just have a lot of faith in these ideas and the underlying vision.
3. We are very keen on giving further shape to these ideas or startups
4. They go a long way into synergising with something else on our longer agenda.
This is also my initiative to give an opportunity to those who already seem fit to startup and are crazy enough to take the idea forward tirelessly. We believe that this can be a perfect platform for those who do not have an idea yet but are still fit already to take up something extra ordinary. Sometimes it may allow them to intern with or train with an existing startup from our network of startups in India.
In this initiative we exclusively cover the journey and origin of these ideas with the selectees and encourage them to participate in the making of those ideas.
One of the most important reasons for the origin of this initiative is that we want to create a platform where we could share our own ideas and enable you to take up those ideas to co create with us, for we can’t shape so many ideas alone. The ideas range from food we eat to technology we use to the mountains that surround us.
Our mission through this initiative is to create entrepreneurs out of even those who do not even have an idea they were willing to back, let alone b-plan or a prototype. Even those who do not even have technology or design skills. All they may have is a will to do something extra ordinary someday.
No slick presentation or an extensive business plan; all you need to do is answer the following questions.
- What do you want to ‘make’? (This can be a product or service.)
- How will you sell it?
- What is the benefit that it will offer the person who uses it?
- What makes you think you can pull this off?
This is our programme where we do business things with you regularly with a single agenda of putting shape to our idea that you are willing to adopt too:
0). Education -: It starts from here. We have already covered this in our writings above. We first educate you on business values we believe in thorough our above mentioned programmes. Most of it is counter cultured. But that is what works in these extraordinary ‘internet’ times of FREE information and FREE tools.
1. Mentorship/Advise — Our advise will lead you to decipher the startup plan, its phases and over all strategies so crisp and simple that it actually STARTS bootstrapped and conducts itself in smarter and contemporary ways. We continue to function as advisors through out the course of the business so long as you feel our need.
2. Scale up Connections — These connections are thoughtfully created potential tie ups that make the process of building a great company faster, more efficient, more cost effective and more scalable. We create a structure around you that leaves you more time to focus on what is most critical to your business so that you do what is most important and others do everything else. These tie ups could be infrastructural tie ups, operational tie ups, process tie ups, technology tieups, human resource tie ups or anyother tie up that can help grow the startup.
3. Vendors — We connect you to the vendors for various executions. These vendors are those vendors we have identified as most cost effective vendors over our experience of the last 5 years.
4. Investments — We put you through the right potential investors ifor your startup and in exceptionally good cases we will get you the investments too.
5. We work with you on anything that we think requires our attention towards chasing a common goal with you.
Come and live with us if you have the ability, passion, conviction and an undying will to do.
Note — If you read into Preseed well, like a seeker of novelty, you will get a chance to hear about our experience of this counter culture called ‘Preseed’ in the almost 6 months we may end up spending together.
Disclaimer: Preseed E-cell expects to make money out of E-commerce revenues and exits in startups of Pedagogue and its fund (mentioned below). All of the above including space, living and education from us will be FREE to one and all. The main reason for Preseed E-cell spaces is to have a space with inspiring and progressive culture under one common roof for those who deserve it, regardless of money.
Initial funds collected out of our e-commerce sales will be utilised in making of the space and events. Once we go beyond the profits required to cover up for the costs of space and events, we will use the rest of the funds to making this below mentioned fund.
No Bullshit. No Swag. Only Business.
The companies at 100 billion dollar values. today were once just 2 people teams with an idea and a prototype.
We want to be a fund that invests periodically into its such companies.
As a part of my job at Preseed, I often stumble upon opportunities I would have wished to invest monetarily in, if I had personal money. It is exactly for this reason that I wish to build this fund.
I get atleast 3 investment requests per week with slide decks of idea stage entrepreneurs. Some of those pitches were worth investing in. However, some is not what we are after. One is what we are after. Our first investment in a company will be in a company we would have wanted to build ourselves.
The fund will invest in two kinds of opportunities —
- The ones that require an investment of upto Rs. 10 Lakhs.
- The ones that require an investment of above Rs. 10 Lakhs.
For the ones that require 10 Lakhs in investment we may come back to them with a milestone to achieve.
What could this milestone be?
Here is a possible example — The team of a startup when ready with their MVP, adhering by our ‘Product Packaging Protocols’ we have in place for them, will be asked to fulfil a single focused task. It could be as simple as 5,000 downloads (regardless of active users) for their product within the a given achievable span of time.
Why would we set such a milestone where active users are not a concern?
Any milestone set, will not be about growing the company at large. It will be a specific given task to achieve, all the members of the team to focus on together, while everything else can take a back seat. Their performance will be gauged and monitored daily during this span of 15–30 days. Absolute focus and discipline is what we seek in a strong progressive team- to switch off from all else, and just get that one task done and completed rightly — The task we gave as your set milestone. A team like this deserves this fund.
As soon as this is achieved, the money will be in their bank account. No further questions asked, no projections asked, no slide decks exchanged.
This initial pre-investment, will help each of the teams of these startups to sustain themselves, while looking for outside investors without being in a hurry to close a deal, with a wrong investor.
Why should the first Rupees 10 Lakhs cheque come from TSF?
Well, simply put, to motivate each of these teams to achieve their very next milestone, guided by us. We are also very careful about them being invested on upon by the best suited investors. It’s quite easy to go wrong with the selection of investors within the Indian Subcontient. (No offense to anyone!) So to say the least these 10 Lakhs will buy these startups some time.
Usually a startup may want to raise Rupees 50 Lakhs for the next 6 months, at this early stage. We want to sort the startup out for the first 2 months, so they can be free willed to choose the right investor to marry their product with.
This is a problem we are trying to solve, as Preseed, a company that builds startups in India, from scratch. Often there are many investors with tons of money, but not the right mind to advise these startups in the right direction. The mind wouldn’t matter, if such folks gave these teams the freedom to move and grow on their own, but more often than not, there is way too much intrusion from such investors’ end. And why should the investors not be intrusive? After all it’s their money. There is also a lack of faith exhibited by both ends. Thus its supremely important to grow and nurture ones startup along side the right farmer, in this case, a suitable investor.
In short, achieve that milestone set specifically for your team (for your own growth), and get Prefunded.
Good luck fellows!
Future Add on to our space:
We will soon add people with skills as permanent resident at our space and in turn we will build a unique business consulting company residing in Preseed Ecell called 4c which will service your startups at all levels.
An office space in San Fransisco for this Accelerator program (eventually):
We envision TSF having an office in Silicon Valley, where we will accelerate startups. We are very well positioned in India to get brilliant, handpicked Indian early stage startups to get baked there. The founders from our handpicked startups will eventually go to Silicon Valley for this Accelerator Program. In the meantime they will be in India and be accelerated from Silicon Valley by our community of advisors and our manager sitting there, amongst the most progressive startup community. For the office space, if we can have that, we are already building a network there, to send the founders of the startups, who will be ready to be accelerated. If initially we can’t have that space, they can be accelerated from Silicon Valley(by our manager & board of advisors sitting there) while they are in India.
Look at our portfolio opportunities, and if you feel there can be future values made out of this & even if one is successful, and you think its worth your time, then please come on board. Sharing substantial portions of this business with you or anyone you recommend will be our pleasure — we can come on papers almost immediately to have this deal.
Only customers of our ecommerce can apply to Preseed Ecell. Here is the link to the form you have to fill up when you apply to us — https://applypreseed.typeform.com/to/mJHjRE.
We hope you understand that most ideas that people write to us about are redefined by us, sometimes even completely changed. (Obviously in the interest of the business).
We hope you understand that most ideas that people write to us about are redefined by us, sometimes even completely changed. (Obviously in the interest of the business).
We are not going to be about number projections. We are going to be about empowering entrepreneurs that have an incredible ‘idea’, prototype, a great team and an iron will to execute. We never ask for projections from our startups. This is going to be about very early stage startups and we will make it be this. This will set us apart from a lot of other accelerators.