WKU Football: Depth Chart for Wisconsin Game Released
You know it’s football season when you get your first depth chart of the year, and that’s exactly what came Monday for Hilltopper fans.
Initial thoughts about the depth chart are as follows:
- Experience across the offensive line looks like;
LT — Sophomore (Cole Spencer)
LG — redshirt Sophomore (Tyler Witt)
C — redshirt Sophomore (Seth Joset)
RG — redshirt Sophomore (Jordan Meredith)
RT — redshirt Junior (Miles Pate)
- All of this inexperience might hurt in 2018, but if this group is able to stay 1.) Healthy and 2.) Together for the next handful of years, that’ll become invaluable
- The only three people from this group who have made starts in their career are Cole Spencer (five at RT), Miles Pate (seven at RG) and Tyler Witt (six at RG).
- There is no listed running back starter. Trigg is, technically, first on the depth chart, but the name of RB1 is still up for a tremendous debate/battle.
- Davis Shanley, the redshirt freshman, is the immediate backup to Eckels and not Kevaris Thomas. I wonder if that’s a situation where, if the unthinkable happens and Eckels goes down against Wisconsin, you don’t want your true freshman going in there. Pure speculation, though.
- Your receiving corps has no surprises — Quin Jerrnighan, Lucky Jackson and Xavier Lane, all guys who should be impactful early and often this year.
- This defense has me thinking really exciting, big things.
Brad Stephens also had a quick note about the depth chart, noting a handful of true freshman who cracked it (basically, it’s everyone you’d have expected from the highly-touted ’18 signing class).
What do you think about the week one depth chart? How much will we really be able to find out about the Tops with Wisconsin being the week one opponent? Let us know in a comment, on Facebook or on Twitter.
Be sure you’re up to date with all WKU-related things with the debut of our new daily story, Topper Today.