How to Build Creative PR campaigns
“Creativity is one of the last remaining legal ways of gaining an unfair advantage over the competition.” — Ed McCabe.
Working in public relations, there are certain skills that are non-negotiable, which include: strategy, communication, analytics, and creativity. All these components blend to create an engaging, informative and impactful landscape.
In the public relations and communications industry, there is nothing more valuable than creativity. Creativity guarantees your camapign and strategy stands out, it creats long-lasting impact on the brand represented. Creativity is an important skill to have, to be able to curate engaging client campaigns and strategies.
A well-thought-out PR strategy aligns with the brand’s values and emphasizes the existing messaging in a way that strengthens the narrative. There are several elements involved in creating a successful PR strategy, which need to work simultaneously to ensure that the brand image and messaging supplement each other.
Assess Your Current Brand Visibility
Before coming up with any ideas for your PR Campaigns, first, you need to know where your brand currently stands and where you want it to be. What is your brand associated with? How visible is your brand at present?
Work on your Brief: Boundaries can help boost creativity.
It is important to have a creative brief to properly outline the best strategy and the direction of the campaign. When creating your brief, attention to detail is paramount.
Here are a few things that are key to include:
- What message do you want to convey?
- What kinds of campaigns have you done before? What’s worked and what hasn’t?
- What topics do you need to avoid, based on your current trends?
Do Your Research
After establishing your brief, it’s time to start building. The most important step in any PR campaign is market research. It’s the key to understanding who your target audience is, what their needs and wants are and how best to reach them. Map out your environment; this means analyzing current industry trends, carrying out competitive analysis, and finding ways to stand out.
Understand Your Target Audience
Don’t just sell your products, create an audience experience with a solid takeaway for the brand you seek to promote. Rather than talking about a need that the brand fulfills directly or what differentiates it from competitors, create messages that will resonate with the target audience. What are their pain points? How can you improve their experience?
Tell a story where audiences can easily insert themselves into the narrative and describe a scenario to include your brand providing an element they desire.
Choose Your PR tactics
PR tactics are important because they lead to exciting opportunities that can be used to raise brand awareness. Focus on building strong, human relationships with the stakeholders that matter most.
Here are a couple of PR tactics to help you get started:
- Press Releases: The core of public relations lies in the relationships you build with the media. A strong press release is your way of sharing important, newsworthy information from your client that can add value to their brand image.
- Influencers: A PR campaign cannot be successful without good storytelling. People pay attention when they are able to relate to, or are inspired by the person telling the story. Influencers help your brand increase your credibility, reach a larger audience, amplify your messages and help your audience to resonate with your brand.
- Newsjacking: this refers to the way a brand can capitalize on the popularity of a news story to be featured in media outlets, and eventually, increase brand awareness.
At first glance, public relations can be tricky and intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be! With the right approach, you can hit the ground running and make an impact on all your client campaigns.
Remember, it is important to keep the client’s brand values and intended target audience in mind when creating a PR campaign. That way you’ll know exactly what works and what doesn’t, which will help you optimize your campaigns and achieve better results.
Now go launch your campaign!
Uju is a multifaceted talent, who has a passion for PR, events, and fashion. In her free time, Uju likes to read books and listen to music.