RIDING ON THE WAVE OF NEWNESS
There is just something about a new year, a new month, a new week, a new day. The freshness. The potential. The ray of hope these moments bring and the feeling and thought of: ‘I can try again.’
It is the first month of the year 2022 and a lot of reflection happens at this time, as we plan to make this year the best year yet. On one hand, some people are over new year resolutions, on the other hand I believe these moments can be leveraged to plan for great outcomes this year. I will share five things that will help you leverage the euphoria that a new year brings.
We would call it the REST² framework
1. Be Thankful: Pause and count your blessings. A popular hymn chorus says “count your blessings, name them one by one, count your blessings see what God has done, count your blessings name them one by one and it will surprise you what the Lord has done”. In this season of newness, be thankful for the seemingly little things — the gift of life, friends, restrictions being lifted or relaxed a bit, safe travels, work, shelter, food, etc. There is definitely something to be thankful for. Intentionally pay attention and be grateful no matter how little.
2. Take Stock: It is now time to track how the past year went. What did you set out to achieve and did you achieve them? How did each month of the year play out — any highlights? setbacks? new relationships in your life? mistakes made? Once you’ve answered these questions, ask yourself what things you can you improve on.
3. (Re)Strategize: Now that we have seen clearly what went well and what did not go well. It is time to strategize on how things can go better going forward. Do some of your previous goals need to be carried over and readjusted? Do you need to make them simpler or set more action plans. This post should help with setting up goals in the SMART way. I will suggest focusing on one or two things per month as sometimes having too many things at once can cause you to lose steam.
4. Decide to STAY the course: Riding on emotions can only get us so far, you’d need discipline to stay the course. So after the euphoria of the newness is gone, you need something else to stay on the path of your goal/desire. Think about the end and how you will feel when it is achieved. Take a break when you need to but make sure to tell yourself you will stick to the process as that is the most important thing. You might also need inspiration along the way so get that tool kit ready — playlist of your best songs, favorite inspirational speakers, stress coping strategies, you get my drift.
5. Evaluate frequently — Do not wait till the end of the year before you assess if you are accomplishing your goals or on the way to doing that. Set aside time weekly, biweekly or monthly to check in with yourself and see if you are on the right path or if you need to re-strategize on some of your goals. You do not have to wait till the year is almost over before you evaluate as you are left with limited chances to be able to change anything. Frequent evaluation is a healthy practice as you can tweak things sooner rather than later.
I hope it is not too late to wish you a happy new year. Now let’s go make year 2022 the best year yet!
Don’t forget to clap for this post. Until my next post, remember to stay embracing the lessons in your life.