The Road to Code: Bootcamp Crunchtime

Mmmm, peanut butter.

I can’t believe it, but the time has just about arrived. I am getting to the point in my bootcamp journey where it’s time to put up or shut up, go big or go home, fish or cut bait, or any other weird idiomatic phrase that might involve a bowel movement. Anyway, it’s time to make a decision.

Last time I wrote about my pursuit of a short list of immersives, with Hack Reactor at the top of the list. There have been several developments since then, and I say we just run through them quickly!

  • Drove down (I live in Dallas) to the Hack Reactor Austin campus for a free workshop on how to “Build a Todo App” one Saturday
  • Happened to hear from a friend that day who is a current Galvanize student in Austin, asking me where I was in my process
  • Told said friend I am actually in Austin for a workshop, friend picked me up from Hack Reactor, took me on a tour of Galvanize, introduced me to several of his cohort-mates (all of which were glowing about their experience at Galvanize so far)
  • Left Austin feeling decent about Hack Reactor, but feeling really excited about the idea of going to Galvanize
  • Returned to Dallas, immediately started the application process for Galvanize and set up the technical interview for Tuesday, 4/4/17
  • Completed the Hack Reactor technical interview on Friday, 3/31/17
  • Heard back from Hack Reactor, offering me the PreCourse Accept route for the May cohort (I only ever applied for August), which essentially means if I complete 4 weeks of pre-course classes Mon-Thurs, 6–9pm, they will most likely let me in at the end of it.
  • Heard back from Galvanize, offering me full acceptance into their August 7 cohort in Austin (the one I actually applied for!)

So, as it stands now, I have all but ruled out Hack Reactor, and I’ve received the enrollment agreement from Galvanize. I now have 7 days to return the agreement. Katherine (my beautiful and ever supportive bride) and I read through the agreement last night, and we are both feeling really good about it. We will take the next few days to pray through the decision, and I will update accordingly after that. The road to code is really starting to be paved!