How to Win Friends and Influence People From a Corner of Your Home
What’s one thing we all have in common right now? We’re stuck at home and we’ve got just a little bit of extra time on our hands. Even though it might seem like the perfect opportunity to kick back and neglect our personal brand in favor of something a little lighter like binging on Bridgerton perhaps, don’t do it (although I do believe we could all probably use a dose of Duke Hastings in our lives, but I digress). Even though our pace is slower, it’s actually the perfect time to work on honing your thought leadership presence. Here are some quick tips that you can use to get going, and as both a business mentor and the author of Launch Your Inner Entrepreneur, I’ve taught my clients to use these very same methods:
- Launch a Blog. If you want to expand your influence, blogging is one of the simplest methods to begin gathering your thoughts and formulating ideas at your own pace. With blogging, you have total control over the schedule and frequency of your posts, too. What’s more, many websites have their own blogging capabilities built right in making it that much easier to do. I have a blog called Entrepreneurship, Life Enthusiasm and Energizing Your Brand.
- Start a Podcast. Podcasting is big these days, and when I say big, I mean huge. People are listening to podcasts with increased frequency as the pandemic lingers on, and podcasts are also an amazing way for you to network as well. You can launch your own podcast or be a guest on other podcasts- or better yet, do both. As with anything else, think about who your audience is and what they might be interested in. Next, come up with a clever title for your podcast and some ideas for 10 or so episodes. You don’t need that much in terms of technology (recording and editing software and a high quality microphone to start). Once you’ve recorded and edited your first episode, you can publish it via a media hosting service and then submit your podcast to different directories like Spotify, Google Podcasts and Apple podcasts where you can grow your audience. Why not? Podcasting is a lot of fun.
- Get Active on Clubhouse. It’s all about the audio on Clubhouse. If you haven’t joined yet, it’s sort of like a live podcast or telephone conversation that you’re participating in or listening to. No need to do your hair and makeup or mess with your outfit here (yes, you can stay in your sweats for this one). Clubhouse is the place to be right now. There are thought leaders being born there every day, hosting conversations in their own rooms and building influence. It’s also a fantastic place to network, collaborate and listen to ideas from other thought leaders and experts. Try to finagle an invitation from a friend if you aren’t already active on Clubhouse.
- Write a book. Always wanted to get that book out? Here’s your chance. You have just what you need to do it- those extra hours to make it happen. Begin by thinking about an idea for your book and then work on creating an outline. Research and find out what other books like it already exist on the market, and then brainstorm about how you can make yours unique as well as who the ideal audience for it is. Then, start writing and formulating a book proposal that you can use to pitch the idea to publishers and agents. Work in chunks and just get going if writing a book is on your bucket list.
- Organize a virtual event or start a mastermind group. It can get lonely at home all by yourself. Go out there and find some virtual company while growing your personal brand in the process. Set up a virtual event that showcases your expertise and features other speakers and experts to broaden the conversation. This virtual experience will help you grow your following and expand your network as well. Something else that I suggest for everyone is to become a member of a mastermind group. It can be extremely helpful to have other people to trade ideas with and lean on for support when you need it. Don’t go it alone. If you’re not already in one, start or join one; it’s easy and well worth your while.
So, there you have it. Now is your opportunity to expand your influence and circle. Take advantage of this additional time using some of the methods I’ve mentioned, and come out of this pandemic with a stronger presence and network to match!