I love fall! The leaves are turning beautiful colors, the weather is getting cooler at night, school is back in session, and the cozy winter months are ahead of me. The weather is great for finishing up any warm weather projects and fall cleaning projects around the home. Since Mother Nature waits for no one, now is the best time to get to your cleaning that needs to get done in the warm weather.
1. Out with the Old, In with the New Check out your footwear for fall and winter. Do your boots need to be replaced? Are the laces broken? Are the boots just shot? Shop now and be prepared for the cold, the snow and the ice. It always comes sooner than you’d expect. Check out your shovel situation too. Do you need a new one? I broke mine last year and forgot all about it until I checked on my shovel last week. New Shovel went on my shopping list.
2. Rotate your clothes Pull out fall/winter clothes and put away summer clothes. It is a great time to go through all of your clothes and try them on. If you usually pack on a few pounds during the winter like me, remember to keep some looser fitting clothing for that as well.
3. See the sun this winter Wash the windows outside and inside. If you live in a cold climate, you will need to do this before it gets cold. While you’re at it, wipe off your window ledges, and vacuum your drapes or blinds. Enjoy the sun you see this winter! If some of your windows would take an acrobat or a daredevil to clean, consider hiring out. A few bucks and you will get to enjoy that winter sun even more this year.
4. Clean your vehicle If you have a vehicle, it is a great time to clean it out, including vacuuming, washing the inside of the windows, and put a good coat of wax on it. The full service car wash can take care of all of the these things for you, but you will need to sort out your own papers in the glovebox and other assorted things you keep in your vehicle. Remember to put in your ice scraper now; don’t wait.
5. Carpets Clean your carpets or rugs early in the fall. The warm afternoons are great for drying carpeting. If you don’t have the time or energy to do this yourself, hire a professional carpet cleaning early in the fall. They get busy towards the holidays.
6. Homeowner Bonus Tips : if you own a home, remember to check your furnace.
a. Anything outside — drain hoses, tidy up the garage, tidy up the yard. A good rule of thumb is that if you don’t want it to get snowed on, put it in a building or find a cover for it. If something can freeze, bring it inside (paint, any fluid, etc.)
b. AC units — cover or not? Check the manufacturing literature on this one. It depends.
c. Utilities — furnace cleaning, furnace filters, vacuum out heat vents and make sure they are clear of any obstructions.
Well, there you have it. The top 5 tips for anyone and a bonus for homeowners.
Don’t forget to get outside and enjoy the last days before the cold creeps in. These three things should definitely go on your to do list!
● Walk in the fallen leaves
● Have your coffee outside on a brisk morning
● Don’t forget to lookup to the beautiful colors on the trees.