My day to day process of the Sprint

#1 The first day is mapping. On this day I mapped out my goals for my prototype. After creating a brainstorm of many different potential goals, I found my primary and secondary goals. My primary goals is to make users maintain engagement with the app and encourage the tracking of habits. My secondary goal is to make users reach out to other areas within the app, and to make users identify healthy habits they can develop. After figuring out my goals, I wrote questions, assumptions and potential failures to these goals.

After doing this task, I created a user journey map and placed my main goals on where I thought they would fit. This ended up forming my cluster, around the tasks of ‘set preferences and user profile,’ ‘swipe through potential roommates’, ‘communicate with potential roommates’ and ‘find compatible roommate by accepting’. This let me understand that these tasks are where I need to focus my prototype on.

Next came to sketching. I folded my page into eight squares, and created eight quick sketches of ideas for my prototype. I then selected my top three sketches with the ideas of ‘users have to send a roommate request,’ ‘users match on apartment / house chores’ and ‘users swipe on apartments and see other users who also swiped.’

#2 The second day I created three storyboards detailing the sequence of the prototype. I then selected the strongest sequences and fused them together to create my final storyboard of ‘1. login in to Unilodge,’ ‘2. select roommate search tab,’ ‘3. favourite available rooms,’ and ‘set preferences, interests, lifestyle, and profile,’ ‘4. swipe potential compatible roommates,’ ‘5. match with other user and chat,’ and ‘6. decide to accept and put in application.’

After creating my storyboard, I made my wireframes for my prototype. I made each screen of my app from lines and made a rough idea of what I wanted it to look like. I didn’t include any images or small text as it is just wireframes.

#3 The third day is prototyping. From my wireframes, I created my prototype, adding in colour, images, proper text and coded this all through Figma so that it is now presented as functional interactive app. I ended up creating 42 different screens matching the brief.

#4 The fourth day is user testing. I tested 5 different people, and gave them tasks within the app. I then asked them questions and recorded each interview. From this, I was able to collect data about my app and find out any errors, strengths and weaknesses. From the user suggestions, I ‘fixed’ three errors within my prototype. The first one was adding ‘+’ symbols to the interest boxes so users know to click on them. The second one was to change the matching icon to something more recognisable so users know what it is. The last one was to add a ‘button box’ around the ‘send roommate requests’ so users know that it is a functional button.

--

--

--

The design sprint process shows the progress of how the Unilodge Roomate App is created.

Recommended from Medium

Blog Post #3: What is a Capture?

The 3 Steps for Creating an Experience Vision

Case Study: Credentially. Website Design for HR Management

Hair Tonsure in India: Pavithra’s Story

Evaluation techniques for interactive systems

Scan your premises with a smartphone for your game levels

Mobile App Architecture: How to Save Money on Development at the Planning Stage

Minimum Lovable Products — Or how to survive the first date with your user

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Jess Wade

Jess Wade

More from Medium

Expansion & Contraction — A realistic path for pushing UX exploration forward

JD 101 | Ep 4: How to receive feedback in design review | 5 tips

A Platform for Positive Environmental Change — a UX Case Study

Weekly Product Design Exercise #2