Hey y’all! It’s about that time of the week again. Welcome to another issue of the Stellar Dev Digest, a weekly recap of all things related to the development of the Stellar Network.
What is Stellar? Stellar is a platform that connects banks, payments systems, and people. Integrate to move money quickly, reliably, and at almost no cost.
Call to Action — Stellar Developers Survey
Hey you… yes you! The Stellar Development Foundation has created a survey to get a better understanding of the Developer Ecosystem and they would love if you took a couple minutes to give your feedback.
This is your chance to:
- Brag about the cool stuff you’re working on
- Rant and let SDF know how you really feel
- Describe anything you think the ecosystem needs and currently lacks
Featured Developer Posts and News from the Week
- Lobstr has developed identicons for Stellar public keys — Get Yours
- Even developers can be scammed, be careful — Reminder
- Wonder what StellarX is up to? — Full Reddit AMA
- Kolten is back at it again with his nifty and approachable Python Stellar tutorials, this time for streaming ledger data — Check it out
Application of the Week
This is a very early stage project (so if you just furiously typed:
cargo run, hold your 🐎). So far they have begun with a wip implementation of the networking/overlay subsystem. This is certainly a very ambitious project, nevertheless, a huge step forward for the Stellar ecosystem as a whole… as they say, one small step for stroopy, one giant leap for all lumenauts.
Regardless of the eventual completion of this implementation, this trio of rustaceans is already moving the ecosystem forward by instigating a process for defining a spec for Stellar-core. This is quite significant!
If you know rust and are interested in helping out, there are a few open issues here to get started with.
Interested in promoting your own project, or another exciting project in the ecosystem? If so, please make a submission here.
Updates from Stellar Core
Stellar-core released 11.4.0rc1 this week! This is the first 11.4.0 release candidate and one of the last version 11 releases — I will give a full update on whats included here when this hits the full release. After that comes version 12 — this protocol upgrade already promises some very exciting updates; check out the wip project triage here. Besides the release, core was focused on bug fixes, CAP implementations, and test improvements… the usual.
All-in-all, eight pull requests were merged in the last week.
- Fix computation of overlay parameters
- Added ConditionalWork test that verified child works are not kept alive
- improve parallel build instructions
- Windows compile fix
- Conditional work fixes
- Fix exit code issue when pandoc is not installed
- Add a bit more explanation on the last test.
- Sort metrics by name in metrics.md
Calls for Participation
Looking to get your hands dirty and not sure where to begin? The Stellar ecosystem is full of open source projects looking for help. The following projects are interested in some help and are very likely willing to offer mentorship in exchange:
awesome-stellar (Markdown): A curated list of Stellar applications, blog posts, educational resources, tools, and more
- Add more projects to the developer: useful tools section 👈 (Easy one!!!)
Stellar Vanity Wallet Generator (Rust): generate Stellar vanity wallets
- FetchTimebounds Bug
- Simplified start/end date checking in Trade Aggregations leads to unexpected Horizon Error
Kelp (Go): a free and open-source trading bot for the Stellar universal marketplace
Stellar Go Monorepo (Go): Stellar’s public monorepo of go code
State of the Developer Ecosystem
This week, SDF pushed two releases, Stellar-core’s 11.4.0rc1 (mentioned above) and Horizon 0.20.0! If you are an SDK maintainer, please check out the full release notes. For everyone else, here are a few of my favorites:
- A totally new, super cool ingestion system
- An experimental, improved path finding endpoint
- A new get offers by account id endpoint
Upcoming Events and Days of Note
Looking to work on Stellar full-time?!? Check out the list of job openings below:
Did I Miss Something?
Darn, I knew it! If you found that something from this issue is missing or inaccurate, please open an issue here or message me (r_durst) on Keybase and I will get around to it ASAP. Thanks!
Disclaimer: this is entirely an endeavor of my own, in no way, shape or form endorsed by or a result of my employment with the Stellar Development Foundation.