Resist Rex Tillerson’s Possible Nomination For Secretary of State
For the most up-to-date version of our Transition Tracker go here.
Who is Rex Tillerson?
Rex Tillerson, Trump’s top contender for Secretary of State, is the current CEO of ExxonMobil, the world’s largest oil company. Tillerson’s long running relationship with Russian president, Vladimir Putin, and his lucrative ties across the oil industry could seriously blur the lines between U.S. diplomatic priorities and those of the big oil giants. For almost 20 years, Tillerson has worked with Putin to turn the country into Exxon’s “single biggest exploration theater.” This pick comes one day after a CIA assessment showed Russia intervened in the 2016 election with the express goal of helping Trump’s prospects of winning the presidency.
Tapping Tillerson would mean putting a lifelong oil executive with deep ties in the corporate world at the helm of the U.S. foreign relations. ExxonMobil currently works in over 50 countries and six continents. If that weren’t enough Tillerson would be the first Secretary of State with zero government or diplomatic experience and is is a longtime Republican donor.
How many ways does Putin love Tillerson?
- He has more face time with Putin than any other American except maybe Henry Kissinger.
- Tillerson struck a $500 billion energy partnership deal with Russia in 2011 to gain access to Russia’s Arctic oil resources.
- Tillerson was awarded Russia’s Order of Friendship decoration in 2012, one of the country’s highest honors.
- Tillerson opposes American economic sanctions in general, including the U.S. sanctions imposed on Russia after their invasion of Crimea and the Ukraine.
- Tillerson addressed the World Petroleum Congress in Moscow after the U.S. opposed American participation.
Conflicts of Interest
- He owns Exxon shares worth more than $150 million.
- Tillerson remains at the center of allegations that, under his leadership, Exxon knowingly suppressed research about the harmful effects of fossil fuel on climate change. New York attorney general, Eric Schneiderman, issued subpoenas for Exxon’s internal documents in 2015.
- Serves as a trustee of the American Petroleum Institute.
- Tillerson contributed over half a million dollars to Republicans since 2003. Sitting Senators who will be part of the confirmation process received donations including Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader whose wife, Elaine Chao was also nominated to be Trump’s Transportation Secretary.