Urge Senate Republicans To Stand Up To Hate. #DumpBannon
President-elect Trump has chosen Steve Bannon, a white nationalist, anti-Semite, misogynist as his “Chief Strategist.” Bannon is the former CEO of the alt-Right publication Breitbart News, where some of his headlines include “Birth Control Makes Women Unattractive and Crazy” and “Political Correctness Protects Muslim Rape Culture.”
According to former Bannon aide Julia Jones, Bannon would discuss “genetic superiority” and even “once mused about the desirability of limiting the vote to property owners.” When Jones pointed out that such a standard would “exclude a lot of African Americans,” he responded, “maybe that’s not such a bad thing.”
Since white people are more likely to own property than minority populations, the white share of the eligible voters would increase by 8 percent. Using Census data, the Center for American Progress Action Fund estimates that the share of eligible minority voters would decrease substantially:
- If Bannon had his way and only property owners were allowed to vote, the share of African American voters within the voter pool would decrease by 29 percent.
- If Bannon had his way and only property owners were allowed to vote, the share of Latino voters within the voter pool would decrease by 17 percent.
- If Bannon had his way and only property owners were allowed to vote, the share of Millennial voters within the voter pool would decrease by 25 percent.
Republican leadership has a responsibility to stand up to Bannon’s bigotry and hate and call on Trump to #DumpBannon. Here’s what you can do:
- Call your Senator or Representative and ask them to demand that Trump #DumpBannon and ask them if they agree with Bannon’s suggestion of limiting voting to property owners.
- Tweet the corresponding image to each Senator using their Twitter handle and #DumpBannon. Ask them if they agree with Bannon’s suggestion of limiting voting to property owners.
- Share the corresponding image on Facebook, tagging each Senator and using #DumpBannon.
- Email your Senator or Representative and ask them to demand that Trump #DumpBannon.
Why Americans are demanding that Trump #DumpBannon.
@nonintuitive: because a senior advisor shouldn’t be the executive chair of *any* media company, let alone one that spreads hate!
@Mfairo: because he is a white supremacist who has no business in the White House period! (Philadelphia, PA)
@dpcesqtex: Dump Brannon because he is a nasty, divisive force we do not need. (Dallas TX)
@nycmaggie: Hate is not a strategy (NYC, NY)
@JimmieBrandan: white supremacy, anti-diversity, anti-American. (Seattle, WA.)
@chinagrrljoan: because white supremacists have no place in government. (Santa Barbara, CA)
@TaberleeR: legislating rascism, which he supremacy, and misogyny should not be the job of the Chief Strategist. (Taylorsville, Utah.)
@missjackson75: Racism has no place in America. And Minneapolis is PROUD to be a sanctuary city!
@BerntsenSabrina: I don’t want a man who propagates such fervent, baseless animosity towards minorities influencing U.S. policy. (Sterling, VA)
@BtwnThesePages: my grandfather was off Utah Beach on D-Day. He didn’t serve so a fascist could have the president’s ear. (New York, New York)
@Darling_Valley: because we are all human beings, and he, for whatever reason, still does not recognize that in the 21st century.
@alexkfreeman: I’m in kansas city and i oppose Bannon because I have self-respect and don’t believe anyone should face blatant discrimination. (Kansas City, Kansas)
@cecimartin: because it’s scary enough that DT was elected to lead us, we don’t need a bigot in the White House also (Highland, CA)
@LoveAll1960: Anti-semitic, racially divisve, misogynistic, white nationalism. We don’t want or need any of that. (Dallas, TX)
@DropForgeBishop: because my girlfriend is brown and scared to go out in public. She still does, because she’s more brave than anyone I know (Chicago, IL)
@jimrin: People did not vote for Alt-right to make policy decisions in US. (Dallas, TX)
@lolashoes: No Bannon. We need to actively COMBAT — not encourage — racism, xenophobia, misogyny & conspiracy theories. (Orange County, CA)
@BtwnThesePages: I met 2 WWII vets the other day. One told me he lost his brother in the war. Those lives cannot have been lost in vain.
@JanineLanza: Steve Bannon is a white nationalist. That kind of racism should not be tolerated in the executive branch. (Grosse Pointe, MI)
@hunnybun100: I want to dump bannon because he’s a white supremacist who doesn’t believe in a diverse USA. (Seattle, WA)
@davisdreamers: because we can not bring our country together and stop hate crimes with a white supremist near the white house