The U.S. Air Force Is Getting Serious About Its Nuclear Arsenal.
After a string of embarrassing incidents and shortcomings, America’s Air Force is starting to pay more attention to its nuclear capabilities.
After two decades of neglect of the Air Force Global Strike Command (AFGSC) the capabilities, moral, and effectiveness has slipped to an embarrassing and dangerous level. AFGSC provides combat-ready forces to conduct strategic nuclear deterrence and global strike operations. After multiple incidents and failures to meet specifications has led the Air Force to investigate possible solutions for AFGSC.

Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James and Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III are in charge of getting Global Strike command back to a snuff. Recently, James recommended to the secretary of defense elevating the Global Strike Command leadership to a four-star general, from the current three-star rank. It’s a position that should have always had this level of leadership involved but at least its being addressed now. Other recommendations include Air Force assistant chief of staff for strategic deterrence and nuclear integration from a two-star to a three-star billet.
Since America’s forces were engaged in two land wars, enlisted personnel interest in careers in the Global strike Command have been whining. The positions are not nearly as glorified as they were during the more tense times in the Cold War. This has led to a significant gap in overall manpower in the force.

Another recommendation is putting more mid-level officers into missile squadrons for better oversight. “This is our most critically important mission and these personnel actions show that,” Welsh said. “And we are not just increasing the rank within the organization, we are also increasing the overall manpower by more than 1,100 personnel to address shortfalls and offer our Airmen a more stable work schedule and better quality of life.”
Global Strike Command won't just be receiving more personnel but will also being receiving a boost to its budget to attract higher caliber Airmen. “We have redirected $50 million in (fiscal year 2014) funding to address urgent, near-term nuclear sustainment shortfalls by internally reallocating all of the sustainment funds that Global Strike Command can execute (fiscal 2014), as well as $350 million over the future years defense program,” James said. “Through the tireless efforts of General Wilson and his team at Global Strike Command we are on our way to correcting some of the systemic issues I observed.”

With recent shows of force by Russia, like the events in Ukraine and the massive snap nuclear launch drill last month, shows us Russia is becoming bolder. Improving U.S. nuclear readiness is coming at perfect time.
Below is a clip of the Castle Bravo nuclear test detonated February 8, 1954 at Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Proving Ground. Castle Bravo at 15 Megatons (MT) was the largest nuclear test conducted by the United States
It’s scary to think the lax attitude has to led to reduced readiness of the U.S. nuclear deterrent, but I truly think that these measures being suggested are the right solutions to these embarrassing and dangerous problems.