Doing the Dirty and Getting Paid!
There are so many writing opportunities out there
The start of the year is awesome for freelance writing opportunities and honestly, the past couple of weeks have literally had hundreds of them! As this momentum goes on for a few months (before the summer slow down), I’d highly recommend reaching out and making as many contacts now because it never hurts to have a bigger network.
Big writers on Twitter seem to have a few publications in their bio but think about the other side of what they’re trying to say — they’re successful because they tried more than once! Having regular work from 3+ commitments means yes, you’re very busy, but you’re also going to get paid. Careers are complicated and it takes time to find the right balance for you. So the more experiences you have (and the more people you work for) the better you’ll find your place. And what do freelancers want more than balance?
WE LAUNCHED A PRODUCT LAST WEEK — THE FUTURE COMPETITIONS LIST!!
If you’re a gifted writer (unlike me) and have a knack for doing well in competitions, then it pays to apply to a few more. We’ve collated a list of upcoming competitions and look to update this list every month. It’s awesome because most competitions pay the top 3–5 people so if you manage to find your way to the top, hello pay day! Moreover, having a competition victory in the bag never hurts a job application!!
We also have another product launching this week. So stay tuned!!
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Email ~ Website ~ Medium
Please always get back to us with feedback, good or bad!
Note: As always — if you think we’re doing a good job then we’d appreciate any support! We’re trying to forge a new path and find a better way for writers to get paid, so if you want to help us on our journey, then get in touch! Also please support the newsletter!
- £2,500: The Woven Voices Prize will be open for entries until midnight on 28 January 2022, and all submissions should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
- (£10,000): The Manchester Writing Competition (Deadline: 28th January 2022)
- ($3,000): The Masters Review Winter Short Story Award for New Writers (Deadline: 31 January 2022)
Calls to Pitch
I try to ensure all the positions are well-paid, and if not, they’re helpful in some other way. Our readership varies from new writers to established writers, so some jobs are better for others. Either way, if you have any questions, get in touch with me or the employer, see how you can help, and grow your network! I try to only show remote jobs, but sometimes allow odd interesting jobs to pass through.
- @WWF urgently needs a freelancer on a 3 month contract to join the Digital Team for a 4 day week position.
-(~$300) @healthline are always looking for writers — so if you want to get into a great magazines books, get in touch
-(£150) @stylistmagazine are looking for pitches! In partic, looking for things on hacks to improve fitness + wellbeing — examples of recent pieces below. Really want inspiring, useful pieces.
-(£500 — UK based) @bumble are looking for a UK based freelancer with some investigative experience!
-($150-$400) @MensHealthMag are looking to add new sex and relationships freelancers, esp. folks with experience covering LGBTQIA+ topics.
-($150+) @gabrielagarc_xo has started her new position as Senior Beauty Editor at @Editorialist this month and is looking to expand her freelance roster. Beauty writers: send her your hot takes, op-eds, and beauty pitches, along with your portfolio + rates.
-($300 CAD+) @StarSports are still looking for freelancers on feature stories at. Sports/culture, history, profiles, local angles. If you have an interesting sports story you’d like to write, get in touch
-($150+) @SheKnows is seeking pitches related to Black History Month!
-($1/wd) @econhardship are seeking pitches for feature stories, reported personal essays, op-eds and investigative pieces about economic inequality in America.
-(£150-£200) @pitmagazineUK are planning their next issue and would love pitches on the theme, potato!
- (Paid) The Sun is looking for a freelance writer with experience working on consumer tech pieces to work casual shifts, 1–2 days per week.
- (Paid) @postdigitalist are looking for a freelance content writer, to produce material (mostly blog posts) for clients in the B2B SaaS sector
- (Paid) @BritishGQ is looking for a brilliant culture writer for 1/2 days a week. Ideally someone with plenty ideas for stories that cut through in online conversations around film, TV and music.
- (Paid) Travelled to Bruges? @FaheyDaniel is looking for a decent writer who knows Bruges well and has travelled there recently.
Remote Writing Jobs
- ($70,000) @CrisisAction are looking for a media and communications strategist
- (London based) Google is looking for a Content Researcher to join the team. This job is in London, UK.
- ($600 per article) Colabra is looking for a Contract Technical Writer with a passion for documentation, scientific workflows, and lab management.
- Jack’s Flight Club is looking for a Full-Time Deal & Content Writer! The ideal candidate is a passionate traveler who knows how to travel on a tight budget, who loves to get off the beaten track and mingle with the locals.
- The Weather Channel, an IBM company, is looking for a creative, skilled writer/editor with a track record of successfully reaching and retaining audiences to help launch and grow a new newsletter initiative.
- Zapier is seeking a Senior Content Designer to join Zapier’s Self-Service Customer Experience (SSCX) team, who will create clear and inclusive user-centric content to create a seamless self-service experience for customers.
- (Europe based) ($3050 per month) Scribly is looking for a Home-based Client-facing Content Marketing Manager to join the growing Scribly team available for a typical 40 hours per week.
- Robin is hiring a writer: a marketing content manager who will help develop and deliver the content strategy and help workplaces around the world make progress in reopening the office.
- Stedi is looking for the first Technical Content Writer to help create content for developers.
- Polaris Media are looking to expand our writing team inc freelance technical writers ideally with maritime/engineering background.
We’re writers ourselves and know how difficult it can be to find well paid, honest work and at times, you do feel like you’re banging your head against a brick-wall. We’ve tried our best to help, so please let us know how we can help!Hope you have a great week and we’ll speak to you soon!