Congratulations to the 22 films selected to the 6th WVN Online Film Festival!
Traditional stereotypes of women characterize females as fragile and prone to victimhood. Character assumptions like these inform us that women are passive and infantile. In this paradigm, women become the prey of society’s darker elements. We Are The Ones We’re Waiting For portrays women in their truths: resourceful, indefatigable, brave, hopeful, and determined. Women need not wait for an external liberator. The hero — she is within.
228 films from 43 countries entered this year’s festival to compete for cash prizes in the categories of documentary feature, documentary short, narrative short, experimental, and student/youth. Winners will be announced on International Women’s Day, March 8, 2019, and be viewable on Vimeo Pay-Per-View through March 31st, with all proceeds going to The 2020 Women’s Voices Now Online Film Festival.
Congratulations to the 22 films selected to the 6th Women’s Voices Now Online Film Festival!
- Afghan Cycles | Sarah Menzies | USA/Afghanistan | 90 mins | 2018
- A Woman Without A Name | Farzad Khoshdast | Iran | 80 mins | 2017
- Grab and Run | Roser Corella | Germany/Kyrgyzstan | 82 mins | 2017
- Ingrid | Morrisa Maltz | USA | 52 mins | 2018
- High Passes | Cosima Barzini |UK | 21 mins | 2018
- Hollaback | Emilia Wieding | USA | 10 mins | 2018
- Strangers Ourselves | Lora Murray | Canada | 19 mins | 2018
- Twinkle Power to Change | Aftab Abbasi | Pakistan | 8 mins | 2018
- Beyond the Veil | Sandy Ismail | USA | 10 mins | 2018
- Consent: A Short Comedy About a Serious Subject | Kimmy Gatewood | USA | 14 mins | 2018
- Debris-Escombos | Mary-Lyn Chambers | USA | 15 mins | 2016
- The Guest (Misafir) | Mahmut Duyan | Turkey | 10 mins | 2018
- 16 | Ipek Ozel | Turkey | 5 mins | 2018
- Absent Wound | Maryam Tafakory | Iran | 10 mins | 2018
- Bloody Hell | Katharina Hingst | UK | 7 mins | 2018
- Commercial for the Queen of Meatloaf | Dina Fiasconaro | USA | 9 mins | 2017
- I’m Not Her | Eunice Gonçalves Duarte | Portugal | 7 mins | 2018
- Carpet | Soyeta Paul | India | 5 mins | 2018
- Dark Red | Jasmin Sessler | Germany | 9 mins | 2018
- Dump the Junk | Afreen Kapoor | India | 5 mins | 2017
- In the Silence | Xuetong Zhao | China | 12 mins | 2018
- Realness | Cristina García Zarzosa | Spain | 10 mins | 2018
About the Women’s Voices Now Online Film Festival:
The WVN Online Film Festival is an annual festival that takes place around International Women’s Day. The festival celebrates and awards the best social-change films from around the world that highlight women in film and women’s rights issues.
Each year, films compete for cash prizes, media features and the opportunity to have their films added to the WVN Film Archive for global promotion and viewing. The Women’s Voices Now Online Film Festival is for films and filmmakers interested in exposure and advocacy, and teaming up with WVN to have their films seen around the world to bring audiences from empathy to action in the global women’s rights struggle.