Digital Identity Protocol Connects Blockchain Wallets when Data is Exchanged & Enables Wallet Address Verification
4thpillar technologies (i.e. 4thTech) implements blockchain-based solutions and facilitates digital transformation for the public and private sector. For three years now we are developing a blockchain upgrade proposal to existing European Union eDelivery accompanied by data & document Notarisation feature and digital identity mechanism. Blockchain digital identity mechanism completes a circle of 4thTech MVP solutions and paves the way for future blockchain use-cases adoption.
There is a constant need for online identity verification, and despite the tendency towards digital transformation, there is still the need to use physical identity documents in online identity verification. According to European Economic Commission, blockchain holds promise in this regard and could be used to create and verify digital identities, for individuals and organizations. eIDAS (i.e. electronic IDentification, Authentication and trust Services) is an EU regulation on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in Europe. 4thtech blockchain digital identity mechanism (i.e. FOURid) leverages eIDAS approved X.509 certificate standard to connect blockchain address with a physical person or legal entity.
Blockchain Digital Identity Protocol (i.e., FOURid)
4thTech identity protocol (i.e. FOURid);
(1) connects wallets when data is exchanged. It serves as the public key exchange point between users. The data sender needs a public key of the receiver;
(2) at the same time, the FOURid provides wallet address verification of an individual or an organisation by creating a link between an X.509 user’s online identity and blockchain wallet address.
4thTech’s identity protocol FOURid connects entities, organizations, and individuals in a decentralized internet. FOURid connects wallets when data is exchanged and serves as the public key exchange point between users (i.e. sender needs a public key of the receiver). With its native design, the FOURid identified data and its owner. It can be used also to assign digital cryptography-based identity certificates, such as X.509 to different entities such as individuals or organizations. To clarify further, the FOURid provides wallet address verification of an individual or an organisation by creating a link between an X.509 user’s online identity and blockchain wallet address.
*Note: The FOURid framework is compatible with all the Ethereum based addresses, additionally it supports HashNet, Polkadot Substrates & Solana.
Self-Sovereign Framework of Data
FOURid enables a self-sovereign framework of data (i.e. data files and metadata) authorisation and ownership representation. All ID processes are fully automated and decentralized by their design, thereby enabling users to have full control and ownership of any data that may be connected with them. Attached with a specific blockchain wallet address the data can now be verified, while the X.509 digital certificate standard provides the off-chain connection with individuals and organizations.
The X.509 Digital Certificate Standard
X.509 standard digital certificate can be used for data encryption, notarization of signed data, digital signature, digital identity verification and timestamp. With various European Union certificate publications, the X.509 standard is widely used and as such appropriate for blockchain digital identity integration. The X.509 Public Key Infrastructure is also approved by eIDAS (i.e. electronic IDentification, Authentication and Trust Services).
*Note: As X.509 digital certificate standard is widely supported across Europe, the solution can be easily adapted to all counties using the same certificate standard. Small differences in the installation and verification process may vary.
X.509 Connection Process Overview;
- user wallet creation using 4thTech blockchain wallet;
- digital certificate (i.e. x.509 standard) user KYC connection process;
- identity verification check with the user’s digital certificate, and;
- link creation between the verified user and his/her wallet.
The X.509 Connection Process (technical);
- Login to 4thTech wallet
- Under the “user” verification” tab a simple KYC form is completed with the users name, last name and tax number.
- User signs the KYC data with his or her installed qualified digital certificate.
- 4thTech digital identity protocol prepares and sends WSDL requests in a SOAP envelope via HTTP POST protocol to the government managed automated service (i.e. the issuer of the X.509 certificate), which replies with the verification. If the user’s tax number corresponds with the qualified digital certificate serial number, the user is successfully verified.
- The 4thTech digital identity mechanism then creates a link between the user’s identity and his, her wallet or a wallet of the organisation.
The digital identity protocol (i.e., FOURid) is currently compatible with all SI-Trust (i.e. Trust Service Authority of Slovenia) enabled digital certificates; (1) Sigen-CA, POŠTA®CA, AC-NLB and Halcom ENA ZA VSE. As X.509 digital certificate standard is widely supported across Europe, the solution can be easily adapted to all counties using the same certificate standard. Small differences in the installation and verification process may vary.
- SI-Trust: https://www.si-trust.gov.si/en/
- 4thtech Ethereum wallet: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the4thpillar/npbfeeeinjddjkdmnmdoojehkmhhofdk
- Platform link: http://www.the4thpillar.com/login
The digital identity protocol (i.e., FOURid) adds a final piece to the 4thTech 360 blockchain data & document exchange and management solution. It provides the last component and usefulness to existing blockchain electronic data & documents exchange protocol and Notarisation service. The 4thTech identity protocol can serve as an example, a use-case or a possible solution in the search for a perfect online identity solution.