Digital Identity Mechanism connects blockchain wallet address with a physical person or legal entity
4thpillar technologies (i.e. 4thtech) implements blockchain-based solutions and facilitates digital transformation for the public and private sector. For three years now we are developing a blockchain upgrade to existing European Union eDelivery accompanied by document Notarisation feature and digital identity mechanism. Blockchain digital identity mechanism completes a circle of 4thtech MVP solutions and paves the way for future blockchain use-cases adoption.
There is a constant need for online identity verification, and despite the tendency towards digital transformation, there is still the need to use physical identity documents in online identity verification. According to Europe Economic Commission, blockchain holds promise in this regard and could be used to create and verify digital identities, for individuals and organizations. eIDAS (i.e. electronic IDentification, Authentication and trust Services) is an EU regulation on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in Europe. 4thtech blockchain digital identity mechanism (i.e. FOURid) leverages eIDAS approved X.509 certificate standard to connect blockchain address with a physical person od legal entity.
Digital Certificate Standard X.509
Digital certificate standard X.509 Public Key Infrastructure can be used for data encryption, notarization of signed data, digital signature, digital identity verification and timestamp. With various European Union certificate publications, the X.509 standard is widely used and as such appropriate for blockchain digital identity integration.
Blockchain digital identity mechanism
Blockchain digital identity mechanism currently in concept phase is a crucial component of the existing 4thtech blockchain eDelivery protocol and document Notarisation feature. The 4thtech identity mechanism is capable of individual or organization blockchain wallet address verification. The mechanism creates a link between a physical person or legal entity and their blockchain wallet addresses within the 4thtech ecosystem system.
The 4thtech identity mechanism main features are; (1) connecting the X.509 standard digital certificate with blockchain wallet address; (2) providing the digital identification for 4thtech blockchain eDelivery, and; (3) providing digital identification for 4thtech blockchain document Notarisation service.
Process overview in four steps;
- user wallet creation using 4thtech blockchain wallet;
- digital certificate (i.e. x.509 standard) user KYC connection process;
- identity verification check with the user’s digital certificate, and;
- link creation between the verified user and his/her wallet.
The process in technical details;
- The user selects his or her X.509 standard qualified digital certificate.
- Simple KYC form is completed with users name, last name and tax number.
- User signs the KYC data with his or her qualified digital certificate.
- 4thtech digital identity mechanism prepares and sends WSDL request in a SOAP envelope via HTTP POST protocol to the government managed automated service (i.e. the issuer of the X.509 certificate), which replies with the verification. If the user’s tax number corresponds with the qualified digital certificate serial number, the user is successfully verified.
- The 4thtech digital identity mechanism then creates a link between the user’s identity and his, her wallet or a wallet of the organisation.
The 4thtech digital identity mechanism MVP is developed and tested on Slovenian eIDAS supported digital identity services. As X.509 standard is widely supported across Europe, the solution can be easily adapted to all counties using the same certificate standard. Small differences in the installation and verification process may vary.
- 4thtech Ethereum wallet: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the4thpillar/npbfeeeinjddjkdmnmdoojehkmhhofdk
- Platform link: http://www.the4thpillar.com/login
The digital identity mechanism adds a final piece to the 4thtech 360 blockchain document exchange and management solution. It provides the last component and usefulness to existing blockchain eDelivery document exchange and Notarisation service. The 4thtech identity mechanism can serve as an example, a use-case or a possible solution in the search of a perfect online identity solution. Currently, in the concept phase, the digital identity mechanism will move to production soon.