Please find below a regular development status report, this one covering the period from June 24 to July 7, 2019. Within this timeframe, we were strongly focused on implementing the new features in License Management System, performing the optimization plan, expanding the platform functionality.
License Management System (LMS)
In the recent sprint, we have successfully launched a special licence management mechanism allowing to run the games in a trial mode. The new mechanism was tested with Blazing Core the last weekend when gamers were invited to play the game for free.
This mechanism allows to switch the license from “paid” to “free” mode for a certain time period: when the “free license” mode is switched off, the game returns back to the paid version. All progress gained during the free trial retains and is restored after the user purchases a license.
Social and developers functionality update
Game statistics functionality on the Developer’s page undergoes the final testings on the live environment. Before we hand it over to partner developers we should make sure that all tools and instruments for data collection work properly. Game statistics functionality will be put into operation already this week.
The online/offline status feature has been implemented and will be published after we finish inner testing. We are now working on adding the notification feature: currently online users will receive notifications in the pop-up window emerging in the lower right corner of the screen; the offline users will get email notifications.
Technical specifications for platform achievements are complete. The icons have been designed. The addition of platform achievements to The Abyss will start shortly.
Optimization plan implementation
Due to graphical content (images, animation, etc.) optimization, we have significantly increased the speed of response of the platform’s interface.
Our Continuous integration & delivery (CI/CD) tool was transferred to GitFlow, a distributed version-control system for tracking changes in source code during software development. This will make the testing of new features more simple.
Development complete: currently in testing
The following features have been developed in the recent sprint, now testing:
- Refund functionality for payments made from The Abyss user account (according to our rules, users can make a refund during two weeks after they purchase a game, only if the overall playing time doesn’t exceed 2 hours);
- Users Game Rating on the Game page (allowing to rate the game with a star, ranging from 1 to 5, where 5 stars are the highest rating). The rating is available only to users who have played the game;
- Open Graph protocol (after refactoring and adaptation to popular social media channels);
- In-game purchases functionality (allowing to purchase in-game items inside the game). A certain visual element showing the availability of in-game purchases will help users make the right choice;
- Various visual improvements on the Main page (new game icons, new animation elements, etc.);
- Optimized registration process (the registration process was simplified to increase the conversion of users coming from marketing/advertising campaigns).
Short-term development plans
While we’re working on adding the new features and games to the platform, our short-term development plans also include:
- The division of Profile and Settings menu (separate Profile and Settings sections);
- Visualization of download time/speed information;
- The implementation of platform achievements feature (see above);
- Increasing the game updates speed.
Well, that’s it for today. We will keep you up to date with the development process twice per month, as previously. The next report is scheduled for July 22, 2019.
The Abyss Team