A big and important company.

So, yeah. Not selected. Again.

Today. Sunrise. At 5:59 am.

A lot of feelings+thoughts+emotions about today.

Handling Rejection: Thinking about how people must feel being rejected tens of times, I realised a few guys that I was around had been rejected 40 times. I know that they must lack in something, but it must have humbled them, and made them realise how hard (physically+emotionally+…) it is to prove you are worthy enough to get a job.

Then I asked them how they spent their time, they said they watched TV. Yes, TV here can be a good relaxer after a “good” day of beating yourself up. No offence, but that is what you do when you constantly get rejected. At least, I think people do.

On the bus. I barely had space to move my arm. Hence the shaky nature.
Guindy Bus Station. Had just got down from the bus.
Stranger at Guindy Train Station. Waiting for the train.

What happened today? I started at 7:30 am reached the station at 7:58 am, got in the train at 8:10 am, and reached the Main campus at 9:00 am. That was 45 minutes before we were asked to come. That meant 45 minutes of extra delay added to the regular delay.

Somebody joked, saying how the recruiters arrive two hours after the scheduled time. and it turned out to be true. Well, almost. They arrived at 11:30 am.

Started the pre-placement talk, telling how their company is a leading name in the home appliances industry, and how their training center is located in Goa. How they spend the first year training the newbies, etc. It was fun. They seemed excited to be there recruiting for their company, and in a way, working for it. I was excited too. Began thinking it may be a good idea to work for such a company. Decided to do my best.


Then there was a quick GD round. Each batch had 15 people. I was among the first 15. We went into the conference hall first. We were given a topic, “Make In India”. I spoke well. Got selected.

Waiting for the result after the first round.

“Wait till 1:30 pm. Then report back” they said.

We did.

“Wait till 2:30 pm. Then report back” they said.

We did.

“Wait till 3:00 pm. Then report back” they said.

We did. The asked us to wait another 10 minutes. We did.

Second round was a weird surprise event where we were given some paper, tape, markers, and were asked to make roller coasters out of them. Doesn’t end there. The mini- “project” was to have a production department, a marketing department, a quality control department, and a R&D department.

Then came the difficult part. I was an observer. This was totally alien to me. I had zero knowledge about it. Then people started working, I roamed here and there. Doing nothing. And making notes.

Then, it happened.

I was asked who was the best group. Each group sucked. They couldn’t make structures that stood. Who can, with paper and tape and a nervous 15 minutes?

I stammered. I sucked. I couldn’t.

So, bye-bye second round.

The time now was 5:30 pm. I left to take the train back home. Reached home at 7:00 pm. (Eleven and a half hours!)

Tired, hurt yes. Defeated, hell no.

Ill: I have the common cold+cough for the last two days and it is hurting me and pulling me back.

Happy+wiser: Helped an old lady cross the road today. Feel good about that. Then, made a new friend, and a friend*. Then bonded with the guys. Read good things on Medium. Thinking about it, my life doesn’t change at all. I am as free to go out tomorrow as I was today. Same thing if I would have got the job. So, I feel wiser and calmer.

Guilty: Now I think about it, it was not about making a stable roller coaster. It was about expressing whatever sh*t came to your mind when you speak. The sh*t had to make sense. Now, I can come up with many things I could have said, and many ways the conversation could have gone better. That is making me feel guilty. That kinda sucks.

But it’s okay. I can work hard on the areas I suck at, and be better, and perform better tomorrow. If I fall tomorrow too, I know what to do for the day after.

To end with a quote from pinterest

So, I guess I will be so much stronger tomorrow.


Show your support

Clapping shows how much you appreciated Tushar Marpaka’s story.