Announcement — This is HCD Melbourne — Let’s start a human-centered-design revolution!
Late in 2019, I announced on Talking Shop with Andy Polaine, Adrienne Tan and Dr. John Curran that one of the exciting new initiatives that This is HCD was working on for 2020, was focussing on enabling our global audience to connect to form deeper relationships with one and another and connect over the common goal of ‘doing good’ through opening local chapters in cities around the world.
One of the first emails I received was from the wonderful Megan McDonald in Melbourne and after a few conversations, I am beyond thrilled to announce Megan as Chapter Lead for Melbourne city.
“When I heard about the new initiatives of opening chapters, I knew it would be an incredible opportunity for not only me but for the design, business and product communities of Melbourne — to come together around the common topic of human-centeredness. I’m so excited to kick this off!”
- Megan McDonald — This is HCD Melbourne, Chapter Lead
Megan has been leading design and product teams across a range of industries for the last decade and is passionate about creating value for businesses and their customers via design culture, systemic change, and effective product management.
With a firm belief that one day, design thinking will bring about the end of extreme poverty, Megan works with industry to develop design strategy, innovation and product management in the not-for-profit sector. She is currently developing the next generation of not-for-profit design thinkers and leaders as Group Manager, Product and Design at World Vision Australia.
Connecting cities through podcasting
- The ‘This is HCD’ global theme for 2020 is Design Politics, which will be tackled in the first This is HCD Conference in Dublin, on June 16 and 17. (Submissions open and tickets go on sale soon!)
- Chapter Leads will surface topics discussed and presentations within our This is HCD Publication and also on the Talking Shop podcast with myself and Andy Polaine
- All Meetup events are ticketed with 100% donations going to a local charity in the respective city
How the This is HCD Meetups are different
- This is HCD Board define a global-theme every six-months. The current theme is Design Politics
- All Meetup events are documented and shared on our publication (right here)
- Quarterly we invite Chapter Leads onto Talking Shop to surface the common themes based on their cities that they have observed.
- As a community, we can reflect and gain a better understanding of the impacts related to the global-theme
- The global results input into the This is HCD conference in Dublin, on June 16 and 17, 2020.