Bhava Phala Praveshika — 3: Lagna Bhava
Saravali 34.13. (1) If benefics exclusively occupy the 6th, 7th and 8th, without the company of malefics, Lagnadhi Yoga is caused. (2) This Yoga confers minister-ship, leadership over Army and kingship. (3) Lordship over many women, long life, freedom from diseases and miseries, possession of virtues and happiness. So say Yavana kings.
- Adhi-yoga is caused when Grahas are placed in the 6–7–8 houses.
- Benefics so placed cause Subha-Adhi yoga while malefics so placed Ashubha-Adhi yoga.
- Adhi-yoga can happen from Lagna or the Moon (or the Sun). Adhi yoga from Lagna is called Lagnadhi yoga and from Moon, it is called Chandradhi yoga.
- Benefics in the 6H remove enmity, 7H indicate better relationship with the world and 8H indicate no-obstacles and long-life.
- One should also apply the general rules of Graha placements i.e., Venus should not be placed in the 6H and Moon should not be placed in the 8H. Jupiter in the 6H, Mercury in the 8H and Moon or Venus in the 7H is the best among the Adhi-yoga.
- Also, retrograde Grahas should not be placed in the 6H or 8H as benefics retrograde in these houses brings much enmity, litigations and obstacles in life.
Status of Grahas and extent of results
Saravali 34.14. (1) A planet in own Sign, in exaltation or friendly Sign, according to sages, confers its effects (auspicious) fully. (2) If it is in fall, or is inimically placed, it is incapable of giving the results (auspicious results mentioned before).
- Like in any yoga, the status of the Graha involved in a yoga has great say on the results.
- If the Graha so involved in Yogas are weak, then their ability to give auspicious results is negligible, hence the yoga becomes ineffective.
- Classics have mentioned the strength of results when placed in various Avasthas. (1) Uccha-kshetra: 4, (2) Sva-kshetra: 2, (3) Mitra-kshetra: 1, (4) Sama-kshetra: ½, (5) Shatru-kshetra: ¼, (6) Neecha-kshetra: 0
Mien, Complexion & Body structure
Phaladeepika 16.1. (1) The native will correspond in mien either to the lord of the rising Navamsa, or to that of the planet that has the greatest strength. (2) His complexion will be like that of the lord of the Navamsa occupied by the Moon. (3) His body and limbs will be in proportion with the rising sign and other Rasis which, are described as forming the head and other portions of Kalapurusha.
- The nature, demeanour and disposition of a person to either the strongest graha in the horoscope or the rising Navamsa.
- Varahamihira also agrees that the native imbibes the nature of the strongest Graha in the horoscope. The strongest of the Grahas also decide many other things in life such as profession, sources of happiness and success, sources of wealth. If the Graha is involved in an auspicious yoga, going in the direction and doing activities indicated by the Graha can bring success and happiness in native’s life. In this case, one should look into the sign where the Graha is placed, the bhava it is placed and the yogas in which the Graha is involved in.
- If there is no significant graha in the horoscope, then the disposition is decided by the Navamsa Lagna. Here, the author cautions that the practice of looking at the lagna (in Rasi chart) for understanding the nature could be misleading.
- The complexion is governed by the lord of Navamsa Chandra. Jupiter and Moon gives fair complexion, Sun and Mars gives Ruddy complexion, Venus and Mercury gives darkish tone while Saturn rules very dark complexion.
- Various authors have given the duration of the Rasis which need to be used to determine the proportion of the body parts. These are however modified by placement of various Grahas. Sattva Graha (Ju, Su, Mo) makes it longer, Rajas Grahas (Me & Ve) makes it middling and Tamas Graha makes it shorter
Good things in life
Phaladeepika 16.2. (1) If the lord of the Lagna occupy a Kendra or a Kona with clear rays (uneclipsed) in exaltation or Svakshetra. (2) When the lord of the 8th house is posited in a house other than a Kendra and when the Lagna is occupied by a benefic. (3) The person born will be long-lived, rich, honoured, endowed with good qualities, will be praised by kings, fortunate, possess beautiful limbs, be of good physique, fearless, virtuously disposed and will have a good and happy family.
- Lagna needs to be seen for various good things that happen in one’s life including-
- Lagna Beautiful limbs, Good physique
- 2H Wealth, Good and happy family
- 3H Good qualities, Fearless
- 4H Virtuous
- 8H Long-life
- 9H Fortune
- 10H Honour (from people and government)
- A lot depends on how strongly the Lagna lord is placed in the horoscope. The conditions of strength mentioned by Mantresvara are-
- Placement in a Kendra (1–4–7–10) or Trikona (5–9)
- With clear rays. This can mean that the lagna lord is placed away from the Sun so that its rays are not obscured by the Sun. This can also mean that the Graha is closer to exaltation. As per the dictums of Planetary rays in BPHS and Saravali, a planet placed in exaltation is full of planetary rays.
- While the Lagna lord is well placed, the Lagna should also be occupied by a Subha graha, especially in strength (not in debility or inimical sign).
- At the same time, the 8L should not be placed in a Kendra. 8H represent the sum-total of all our bad karmas from the past life. It is the anti-thesis of the 9H being the 12H from it. 8H is the sources of all misfortunes in our life. Life stands on the four pillars called the Kendras. When 8L is placed in a Kendra, it is weakening one of the pillar of life. Lagna= Dharma (1–5–9), 10H= Artha (2–6–10), 7H= Kama (3–7–11) and 4H= Moksha (4–8–12).
8L in Kendra (from BPHS)
8L in Lagna: (1) Devoid of physical felicity, (2) Suffer wounds, (3) Hostile to gods and Brahmins
- When 8L is placed in the Lagna, the native’s health is affected. However, is the 8L is a Subha Graha i.e., Ju for Ta and Le Lagna, Mo for Sg Lagna, Ve for Pi or Li Lagna or Me for Sc or Aq lagna, the health trouble is not severe as the natural benefics will protect the health. However, for Ta and Sc Lagna placement of Ju and Me in the lagna can cause some severe troubles due to enmity with the Lagna lord. Ve will never cause health trouble as it gets exalted in Pi Lagna and svakshetra in Li Lagna.
- Sa for Ge and Cn Lagna and Ma for Ar and Vi Lagna can be cause more troubles being natural malefics. However Sa for Ge lagna and Ma for Ar lagna will not cause trouble as Sa and Ma are in friendly or own signs. The trouble is grave for Cn and Vi Lagna as 8L is also inimical to the Lagna lord.
- In all the Lagnas, the native can be hostile to scholars, gods and Brahmins. This is because respect and honor for the gods and Brahmins come from the 9H and 8H represent loss of that.
8L in 4th House: (1) Deprived of mother, (2) Devoid of house and lands and happiness, (3) Betray his friends.
- 4H is the giver of all kinds of happiness and comfort being the Sukha sthana. When the lord of misfortune is placed in the 4H, the native can’t attain happiness even though surrounded by all forms of luxuries, as the heart chakra is affected. Only renunciation of material comforts can bring bliss in such people’s life.
- The native may lose mother or mother’s care in childhood, devoid of good home, vehicles and other forms of comforts and has a dejected feeling.
- The corruption of the heart-chakra makes them devoid of attachment and empathy for the near and dear ones, especially so as they have seen much suffering and miseries from young age. Hence, they can betray their friends and not stand by them in their need.
8L in 7th house: (1) Two wives, (2) Malefic association downfall in the business
- The native does not derive happiness from marital relationship. Either the 1st spouse dies and the native is compelled to marry again or there is separation and divorce. It is difficult to have long lasting committed relationship in such people’s life.
- 7H rules all forms of interaction with the external world, relationships including trade and business partnership. If the 8L is afflicted in the 7H, the native suffers misfortune pertaining to business, partnership etc.
8L in 10th house: (1) Devoid of paternal bliss, (2) Talebearer, (3) Bereft of livelihood, (4) Benefic drsti evils don’t manifest.
- 10H is important for father and father’s affection and guidance in the life of native. If 8H is placed in the 10H, the native is devoid of father’s care and affection. Either there is separation between them or they are not successful in their life at the same time.
- 8H and natural sign Scorpio rules the habit of humiliating someone behind the back. When the lord is placed in the 10H of activity, the native gets into the habit of tale-bearing
- 8L being in the Artha Kendra affect stability in livelihood. Such native wander and drift in life like a ship without anchor in the stormy waters.
Associations with Lagnesha
Phaladeepika 16.3. (1) If the lord of the Lagna be well associated, the person born will live in a good village or amidst good associations. (2) When the associated planet is strong, he- will be under the patronage of a renowned king. (3) When the said planet is in his exaltation, the person will become a king. (4) If the planet should be in his own house, the person will live in his own native place. (5) He will always be on his legs if the planet be in a moveable house. (6) He will be stationary in one place if the planet be in a fixed sign. (7) The effect will be mixed if in a dual sign.
- Lagna represent the homeland, birth place, place belonging to native culture, people and everything that is connected to native’s identity.
- If the Lagna and Lagnesha are strong in the horoscope, the native does not have to leave the matters pertaining to his identity such homeland, culture, people etc. Else, the native is compelled to go to a different place whether he can attain success.
- Recognition comes from Lagna as it is associated with the identity of the person. When Lagnesha is strong and associated with Subha Graha (not 8L), the native is recognised for his talent by the ruler of the land. He lives a comfortable life under the patronage of the government. This can mean patronage of influential people in today’s age.
- Exaltation is equivalent to High position, Status and Authority. If the Lagnesha is exalted and well associated, the native can attain power and influence. Additionally involvement of 5H of power and 10H of throne can make this yoga even stronger. There are 2 thrones in the horoscope Lagna= Throne of the earth, 10H= Throne of the sky.
- If the Lagnesha is placed in the Lagna, the native prospers in own native land. Own sign = belonging to self-identity, own home, own homeland. The native can also attain fame as Lagna = Fame.
Mobility in life
- How much moving or fixed one is in life can be seen from the predominance of signs in the Lagna, Lagnesha, Navamsa Lagna and Navamsa Lagnesha. Movable sign= Highly mobile, Dual signs= Less mobile, Fixed signs= Not mobile.
- In my horoscope Lagna is Sg, a dual sign, The Lagnesha is in Aq, a fixed sign. Navamsa lagna is in Cn, a movable sign and Navamsa lagna lord Moon is in Sc, a fixed sign. This indicate that I will be moderately mobile and will not changes my location frequently.
Avastha of the Lagnesha
Phaladeepika 16.4. (1) If at the birth of a person, the lord of the Lagna be of brilliant rays, he will become famous. (2) If the planet be well-placed, the person will be happy and prosperous. (3) But if he should occupy Dusthana, be in the house of a malefic or that of an enemy or occupy his depression sign, the native will be miserable and will live in a despicable place, and reside amidst outcasts or vile people. (4) If the Lagna is strong, the person concerned will be happy, thrive well and will come to power and prominence. (5) But if the Lagna be without strength, the man will constantly be overcome by calamities, be sad and will suffer from disease.
- Here we find minor difference between the strength of Lagna and the Lagnesha.
- A Bhava governs location, circumstances forced on the native while the Bhava lord signifies the people aspects i.e., ambition, aspirations, nature, preferences, psychology etc.
- When the Lagnesha is well placed in Exaltation or far from the Sun, he attains “fame” as people will know their name, identity, capabilities etc. However, when the Lagna is strong (i.e., placed with good planets), the native is given a comfortable life, power and prominence.
- The weakness of the Lagnesha (being in inimical sign or debilitation or dusthana), the native’s morality is low, he likes to make company with vile people and those who are enemies of the society, his preferences are of low order and are attracted to vicious things life.
- On the other hand, if the Lagna is weak due to say placement of a Graha in debility, dusthana lords etc. the native is faced with many challenges, suffering, diseases etc.
- What happens when Lagna is weak but Lagnesha is strong? The native is faced with much suffering but still hold high ideals in life and face the difficult circumstances in life with steadfastness.
Other important combinations (from Kundali Darpan by Satyavir Shastri)
- Weak Lagnesha conjoined with 8L placed in the 4H, 5H or 9H indicate bankruptcy. (Comments) 8H is the root for troubles pertaining to Bankruptcy, heavy debts etc.
- Lagnesha in the Lagna indicate prosperity throughout life. (Comments) Lagna in the seat of fame. Lagnesha in the lagna indicate fame to native.
- Lagnesha in 2H, 2L in 11H and 11L in Lagna indicate sudden gain of wealth (Comments) Association of 2H, 11H and Lagna gives sudden gain.
- Malefics in the Lagna indicate suffering throughout life. (Comments) Malefics in debility of enemy sign is even more dangerous.
- Saturn in Lagna, Mars in the 6H and Rahu in 8H indicate suffering throughout life. (Comments) Saturn in Lagna indicate misery, mars in 6H indicate battles and Rahu in 8H indicate chronic diseases.
- Lagnesha with 5L or strong Lagnesha aspects the 5L or Lagnesha and 9L in the 7H indicate native will beget good children. (Comments) Association of Lagnesha with a Bhava lord in good position indicate happiness pertaining to that Bhava. Else, such association in a bad position indicate life long suffering on account of matters ruled by the Bhava.
- Lagnesha conjoined with Mercury placed somewhere outside Lagna indicate native will be devoid of happiness from children. (Comments) To be verified.
- Malefics in the Lagna, 7H and 12H indicate no marriage. (Comments) 7H and 12H are related to marriage. 7H= relationship, 12H= bed pleasures. If both of them are afflicted and in addition 4H is also afflicted, then marriage is unlikely.
- Lagnesha and 8L in the Lagna indicate long life. (Comments) Same principle mentioned above. The native gains from the Bhava whose lord is placed with the Lagnesha in a good position.
- Exchange of Lagnesha and 5L indicate huge wealth. (Comments) 5H deals with future and also speculation. The native may gain from speculation.
- 2L and 7L conjoin in the Lagna indicate auspicious marriage. (Comments) 2L= Family and 7L= Marriage. The native blessed with good wife and family.
- Strong Lagnesha or placed in Kendra or Kona indicate Long life (Comments) Placement of a Bhava lord in Kendra fortifies the Bhava. This is however, not true with 8L.
- Weak Lagnesha in malefic signs or in Trika 6–8–12 indicate short-life. (Comments) The native suffers from 6H= litigations and diseases, 8H= misfortunes or 12H= If Lagnesha is weak and afflicted.
- LL and 4L conjoin in the Mesha lagna indicate Great wealth. (Comments) Strong Chandra-Mangala yoga in the Lagna promising great wealth.
- All Kendra devoid of any planets (7 weekday Graha) indicate that the native will become poor even though born in a rich family. (Comments) There should be at least one planet in the Kendra for an meaningful life.
- Venus as Lagnesha in a Kendra and Guru is also placed in the Kendra indicate that the native is a capable and famous singer. (Comments) Venus is the karaka for arts while Jupiter is the giver of fame. Placement of both Grahas in Kendra while association of Venus with Lagna indicate fame from signing or other stage performances.
- Lagnesha in a Trine and 2L in 11H aspecting the 2H (Li and Pi lagna- 2L Mars) indicates that the native is highly wealthy. (Comments) 2L aspecting its own house from 11H links the two important houses for finances. Additionally Lagnesha in a Lakshmi sthana promising good finances.
- 6L and Sun conjoin in the Lagna indicate face disease. (Comments) Sun governs heat, 6L rules diseases and Lagna rules the head region. The disease can be due to high Pitta. There could be troubles such as pimples etc.
- Exalted Jupiter in the lagna (Cn Lagna) indicate high education. (Comments) Jupiter is the 9L in the lagna promising high education. But there could be many battles in life due to placement of 6L in the Lagna.
Some key principles from Dr. BV Raman’s Hindu Predictive Astrology
Good health, good appearance, generally happy: Lagna lord is exalted, well associated, strongly placed, occupies quadrants, has the aspect of good planets
- This is a general condition for getting good results pertaining to a Bhava.
- The Bhavesha should be placed in strength and Bhava should be aspected by benefics.
Severe health troubles: Lagna lord is conjoined with a evil planet and occupies the 8th house, the health will suffer
- Placement of a Bhava lord in the 8H from the Bhava brings doom to the Bhava, more so, if the lord is also afflicted.
Sickly constitution, constant health troubles: (1) Lagna lord is conjoined with the lords of 6th, 8th or 12th OR (2) Lagna lord is in 6th, 8th or 12th.
- General conditions of inauspiciousness pertaining to a Bhava, i.e., whenever a Bhava lord occupies a Dusthana or the Bhava is occupied by a Dusthana lord, the Bhava suffers damage.
Danger from thieves and swindler: Lagna lord is conjoined with a evil planet and Rahu or Saturn occupies the Lagna
- Rahu or Saturn or both combined cause losses due to thieves or cheating.
Suffering due to Urinary or bladder troubles or swelling of the testicles: Rahu, Mars and Saturn are in the Lagna.
- Combined influence of Rahu-Saturn cause swelling of testicles while Mars-Saturn cause urinary troubles.
Emaciated body: Mars, Sun or Saturn occupies Lagna.
- Fiery and airy grahas give emaciated body. Earthy grahas give a sturdy and heavy physique. Watery grahas and well placed Jupiter gives a corpulent physique.
- Also, association of Lagnesha with 6H, 8H, 12H cause the physique to be emaciated.
Corpulent body: Birth in watery sign.
- Influence of watery element on the Lagna makes the person corpulent.
- In this regard, one should judge 1) Lagna sign 2) Navamsa lagna sign 3) Graha in lagna 4) Graha in Navamsa lagna 5) Lagna lord in susthana or dusthana 6) Navamsa dispositor of the lagna lord in susthana or dusthana 7) influence of Jupiter (Jupiter in watery sign = Corpulent).
Suffer due to consumption: Sun is in the Lagna and aspected by Mars.
- High pitta in the body.
Either misery or checkered career: Many evil planets in the Lagna.
- Grahas don’t always attack all the significations of a Bhava. It is attacks one of them, it can spare the trouble from other.
- For instance, if Malefics in the lagna give miserable childhood, it may not give checkered career (wandering disposition and lack of purpose)
Happy in the beginning: Venus in the 1st half of the Lagna.
- 1st Hora = 1st part of life.
- Good planets in the 1st Hora in Lagna indicate good 1st part of the life.
Miserable in the end: Venus in the 2nd half with evil planets in the 4th and 5th houses.
- 2nd Hora = 2nd part of life. Malefic planets in the 2nd Hora in Lagna indicate bad 2nd part of life.
- Also, 4H is for comfort while 5H governs the future; if they are afflicted by malefics, the last part of life could be miserable.