Budha in Mangal’s Rasi
The starting point of any analysis in a horoscope is to understand the state of the grahas. Say, Budha is occupying the Lagna Bhava, although there are standard results due to this placement, the results are bound to be different based on-
- Whether Budha is placed in a friendly or inimical sign.
- The nature of the sign, as Budha’s significations will intermingle with the significations of the Rasi.
- The Navamsa where Budha is placed. The navamsa is more precise position of placement of Budha in a Rasi. Even if Budha occupies an inimical Rasi but a friendly Navamsa, it will give positive results. The effect of Navamsa is almost 80% while that of the Rasi is merely 20%. This is akin to day and hora. If an activity need to be performed in a day (Vara), which is not supportive of the activity, one can choose a Hora which is supportive. Why, the influence of Hora is stronger than the Vara.
- The aspects of various grahas on Budha. When Budha is aspected by Guru or Shukra, it gives more positive results. On the other hand, aspect of Mangal or Shani pushes itself to give negative results. The Drsti of Surya brings out the positive qualities of Budha, while that of Chandra brigs out its negative qualities. Why? Because Chandra is the cause of Budha’s bastard birth, hence what Chandra can teach Budha? On the other hand, when Budha associate with Surya, it learns all the good things, hence it gains talent, knowledge etc. Hence, Budha-Surya yoga is considered a good yoga, called Budhaditya yoga. Best is when Budha is ahead of Surya and is placed somewhat far from Surya so that its own significations find expression.
- The other yogas such as Shubha or Papa kartari yoga etc.
- The lordship of Budha. When Budha becomes the lord of a Dusthana, it will give more negative results than positive, compared to it being a Trikona lord. For instance, when Budha occupies Vrschika Lagna, it becomes the 8th and 11th lord, an highly inauspicious graha. Will it give the same results as when it is placed in the Lagna in Uccha, being the Lagna and 10th lord for Kanya Lagna? Of course not, the results of its placement in Vrschika lagna will cause sickness from childhood, suffering from some bodily deformities etc. However, its occupation of Kanya Lagna will confer abundant fame (siddha yoga), learning (bhadra yoga) and wealth. Although Budha is a naisargika shubha graha, its placement in a Bhava will greatly vary due to the Rasi placement and the bhava ownership.
Budha in Mesha Rasi
Key words: Fond of battles, crooked mind, untruthful, imprisoned, sometimes firm sometimes fickle, fond of music and dance, fond of sexual pleasures, learned, writer, voracious eater, lose money, incur debts,
When Budha occupies Mesha Rasi, the native learns all the qualities of the Mesha Rasi, which is masculine, positive, aggressive, dominant, enterprising, full of energy and initiative and full of potency. The interests and fondness of certain activities lead them to invest their time and effort in learning those skills. Hence, when Budha is placed in Mesha Rasi or the Positive Mangal Kshetra, the native is fond of Battles and is interested in learning War strategy. Such people are likely to indulge in news pertaining to war between tribes, nations etc. Budha governs the innocence and childlike attitude of an individual. Mesha Rasi has strong influence of Mangal and also Surya who gets Uccha here. When Budha occupies this sign, its innocence is lost and it behaves like a army general, who is shrewd, commanding and war mongering. Both Budha and Mangal are fickle minded in nature, i.e., want to jump into multiple things at a time. When Budha occupies Mesha Rasi, that nature is heightened.
Since Budha governs how one uses his money, the native is prone put his money in things without much thoughts and consideration, which eventually causes him to incur losses and debts. Being the sign of high masculine energy, the native as strong libido and crave for sexual pleasures. The native also has high pitta in the body, which makes the digestive fire stronger and the native becomes a avid eater. What about the writing skills of the individual, which is also governed by Budha? Since this is the Uccha kshetra of Surya, the source of all knowledge, it supports the faculty of writing. The native is a skilful writer, but are interested in writing things that are governed by that sign i.e., war, conspiracy, crime, machinations etc. How about the speech? The speech is influences by Mangal, Uccha Surya and Neecha Shani, that makes the native commanding (Mangal, Surya) and untruthful (Shani).
Budha usually gives a stout body when it is well placed and influences the Lagna. However, when Budha is placed in Mesha, due to the influences of strong Pitta (Mangal, Surya) and Vayu (Shani), the physique is emaciated. Observe that both Mangal and Shani gives a emaciated physique and Surya gives a muscular and athletic one. One can judge the body structure bestowed by all the grahas due to their placement in various Rasis and then estimate the overall influences on the body structure and shape. This method is similar to identification of the longevity granted by the various grahas in Nisargayu, Pindayu etc. This concept can be used also in other areas such as wealth. Thus, the physical structure of a person is the combined influence of all the grahas due to their Rasi placement. During the periods when Budha is strong i.e., Budha Dasa, Bhukti, the year governed by Budha etc. the indications shown by Budha will be more predominant. Again, the grahas that influence the Navamsa or Rasi Lagna or is the strongest planet in the horoscope, the influence of that Graha will be predominant in the life of the native.
Saravali 26.1–2. Mesha-Budha: Fond of battles (priya-vigrahastu), highly learned (vetta-acharya), shrewd (dhurta), emaciated (krsha-gaatra), fond of music and dance (sangita-nrtta-nirata), untruthful (na satyavachano), fond of sexual pleasures (rati-priya), writer (lipivat), produce fictitious things (kuta-karo), eat much (bahvaarsho), lose hard-earned money (bahushrama-utpanna-nashta-dhana), incur debts (bahu-rna), imprisonment frequently (bandhanabhaagi), sometimes fickle minded and sometimes firm (chala-sthira).
Budha in Mesha Rasi for different Lagnas (Sri. R. Santhanam)
Sri. R. Santhanam, in his translation of Saravali gave the differences in the results due to birth in different Lagnas. This is important, as depending on the Rising sign, Budha will attain different lordship, which will cause certain indications to stand out compared to the rest. For instance, when Budha is the Lagna lord for Mithuna Lagna and placed in the 11th house, it can make the person more focused on the wealth matters, and the element of trade, investments, debts, loss of wealth etc. will be more prominent. Budha being the Lagna lord will also influence, the mind i.e., sometimes firm, sometimes fickle, eating habits (voracious eater), or writing ability (good in writing, write fictitious novels), the individual may also be emaciated and be shrewd and untruthful. However, when Budha is the 9th lord, say for Makara Lagna and is placed in Mesha in 4th house, its possible that these characteristics are seen the father of the native. It is also possible that these matters affect the 4th house of comforts, real estate, conveyances etc. Its possible that native has to witness battles in homeland, the person likes to invest or trade in real estate and suffer losses. For Kanya Lagna, placement of Budha in Mesha can make the person excellent in writing crime novels or be fond of such novels or thrillers. Why? Because Mesha falls in the 8th house, that governs all hidden and mysterious things. Thus, whatever is known about Budha in Mesha needs to be adapted based on the lordship of Budha and the Bhava it is placed in.
- Mesha Lagna: 3L/6L in Lagna: Separation from parents, frequent troubles in childhood, later prosperous, pious.
- Vrsha Lagna: 2L/5L in 12H: in Less children, not inclined towards religion.
- Mithuna Lagna: LL/4L in 11H: Earn abundantly, but also suffer sever losses, eldest child (certainly when aspected by Guru or Kuja).
- Karka Lagna: 12L/3L in 10H: Highly auspicious dasa results.
- Simha Lagna: 11L/2L in 9H: Obstacles in prosperity, loss of paternal and self-made wealth in the hands of enemies or litigations in Budha dasa.
- Kanya Lagna: LL/10L in 8H: Short-life, obstacles in undertakings, exhaust ancestral properties.
- Tula Lagna: 9L/12L in 7H: Profligate, spouse not loyal
- Vrschika Lagna: 8L/11L in 6H: Proficient writer, long-life, rajayoga in Budha dasa, earn land, wealth and other’s properties (legacy or donation).
- Dhanu Lagna: 7L/10L in 5H: Maternal happiness, conveyances, lands, learning.
- Makara Lagna: 6L/9L in 4H: Early death of father is likely if Sun is also weak.
- Kumbha Lagna: 5L/8H in 3H: Exceptionally timid, shy away from people and public speaking, sour relationship with elders, many younger sisters.
- Meena Lagna: 4L/7L in 2H: Financial improvement after marriage, if Guru is in Tula- all wealth is lost, bankruptcy.
Budha in Vrschika Rasi
Key words: Suffer from grief, miseries, evils, hateful, hate the virtuous, hate own well-wishers, devoid of virtues, truth, righteousness, shame, dull witted, miser, cohabit wicked women, cruel hearted, fond of cruel punishments, dull witted, devoid of higher thinking, unable to understanding higher truth in life, earning through lowly jobs, lack courage to speak out, incur debts, company of wicked men, criminal minded, negative outlook, always vengeful, hurtful.
Vrschika Rasi is an emotional vortex, it represents a state where the emotions are sucked within and does not find a free channel to release out. This reminds of vortex in the river and a tornado in the air. Budha represents one’s expression of thoughts and mind, thus becomes the cornerstone of communication. When Budha is under positive influences, the native is easily able to connect with one’s own self and also outside. However, when Budha is under negative influences, the native finds it difficult to connect one’s own emotions to the outside world and which becomes a big challenge. The emotions not finding out right avenue to come out gets into a state of churning, which cause much internal suffering to the native. The difference between the signs of Mangal, Mesha and Vrschika is that, the Mesha is extrovert and outgoing, while Vrschika is very introvert and passive.
Budha governs one’s ability to process information and learn. It govern’s once innocence and honesty, far from guile and crookedness. One’s inquisitiveness and curiosity if also governed by Budha. When Budha occupies its enemy sign Vrschika, all the positive qualities of Budha are suppressed and they are transformed into something very different. Such native lose their innocence and helping attitude and become guile, crooked, dishonest. They find it difficult to communicate with the outside world, and experience sudden outbursts. It is as if the lava of a volcano has been simmering inside for a long time, resulting in sudden outbursts. They become timid and don’t have the courage to stand for what they truly believe in. They are afraid of opposition as that would mean more explanation and clarification to prove their point. Instead, when they are faced with opposition, they try to find an escape route. They don’t mind if they have to feign ignorance about certain things or tell lies to escape a situation.
Even if they are given a positive environment, its difficult to come out of their internal suffering, which is created due to their inability to express and connect themselves with the outside world. Sharing with others is another area of concern in these people’s life. They kind of believe that the world is hostile towards them and they must protect themselves from the hostile world. Sometimes this can compel them to the take the path of crime, provided Lagna, 4th and 5th houses are also afflicted. They are highly covetous and would never share their belonging with others. On other hand, they don’t mind grasping belonging of others.
Both the signs of Mangal are highly masculine as Mangal signifies male. Hence, they have strong sexual potency, which when not controlled, can heap disasters. Among them, Vrschika is where the sex takes a dark turn, hidden and highly secretive. When Budha occupies this sign and Shukra is also afflicted, the native’s sexual life will be miserable, one with strong drive but not getting means to satisfy that. Hence, it is mentioned that they don’t mind cohabiting with prostitutes. They must practice meditation to calm their mind and control their passion. When Budha occupies Vrschika in the 8th or 12th house, the torment of the sex drive can be really intense as 12th rules sexual pleasures, while 8th house rules one’s commitment to marriage. In these two houses, they become full of vices. and are not committed to their marital bonds. Overall, it is difficult to find happiness in such people’s life.
Saravali 26.15–16. Experience heavy workload (shrama), troubles, grief and evils (shokaanarthapara), hate the virtuous (saddveshya), devoid of truth, righteousness and shame (tyakta-dharma-lajja), dull-witted (murkha), not virtuous (na sadhu-sheela), miser (lubdha), cohabit with wicked women (dushta-angana-ramana), fond of giving cruel punishments (paarushya danda nirata), interested in blameworthy jobs (chillkrdvishta dvishtakarmashu), not speak out (niruddha), incur debts (rnavaan), join base men (neechanuruchi), steal other’s properties (parastvadaanavaan).
Budha in Vrschika Rasi for different Lagnas (Sri. R. Santhanam)
- Mesha Lagna: 3L/6L in 8H: Many vices, company of bad people during adolescence, extravagant spouse, long lifespan.
- Vrsha Lagna: 2L/5L in 7H: Difference in opinions with kinsmen, spouse may be short lived. Budha dasa will be highly auspicious, more so when Shukra and Budha conjoin in Vrschika.
- Mithuna Lagna: LL/4L in 6H: Not good for mother’s longevity. Native is unfortunate in more than one way.
- Karka Lagna: 12L/3L in 5H: Abundant riches, conveyances, learning and high position.
- Simha Lagna: 11L/2L in 4H: One parent will be highly afflicted starting from the native’s birth.
- Kanya Lagna: LL/10L in 3H Father prospers, paternal earning likely sacrificed to the co-borns.
- Tula Lagna: 12L/9L in 2H: Dental diseases, sight defects, short-life.
- Vrschika Lagna: 11L/8L in Lg Sickly from childhood, suffer from many diseases and some kind of physical deformity. Ketu-Budha conjunction: Lameness, thievish disposition.
- Dhanu Lagna: 10L/7L in 12H Ruffian, non-committal towards marriage, early loss of mother.
- Makara Lagna: 6L/9L in 11H Huge gains, earn tactfully.
- Kumbha Lagna: 5L/8L in 10H Ups and downs in profession, even then the native will prosper, 1st half of Budha dasa will be auspicious.
- Meena Lagna: 4L/7L in 9H Many landed properties.
Budha in Mangal’s Rasi and aspected by other Grahas
- Surya Drshti: Truthful, very happy, honoured by the king, patient disposition.
- Chandra Drshti: Attract ladies, serve others, unkempt and unclean, bereft of virtues.
- Mangal Drshti: Liar, sweet speaker, promote quarrels, learned, affluent, dear to king, valorous.
- Guru Drshti: Happy, glossy and hairy physique, attractive hair, very rich, command others, sinful.
- Shukra Drshti: In royal service, fortunate, chief of people or a town, eloquent, trustworthy, endowed with a wife.
- Shani Drshti: Experience miseries, fierce, inclined towards cruel activities, devoid of kinsmen.