By the team at ReadThisThing
- Hemingway: An app that helps you write better.
- Grammarly: A smart grammar checker.
- ZenPen: The minimal writing tool of web.
- Draft: Easy version control and collaboration
- Medium: Medium is a great writing and collaboration tool, and can be an excellent place to get your writing in front of lots of people.
- Ghost: Blogging and Publishing. Free. Open. Simple.
- Wordpress: An oldie but a goodie.
- Domainr: Fast, free, domain name search, short URLs.
- Webflow: Create professional, responsive websites. Without writing code.
- Beacon: Crowdfunding great journalism
- Kickstarter: Everyone knows what Kickstarter is — but it can be a powerful way to support great journalism
- Deeper: Another journalism crowdfunding site
- Cont3nt: Like a distributed newswire
- Invoice to me: Free Invoice Generator.
- Book in a box: Book writing and publishing as a service.
- Silk: A tool for data journalism. Go from spreadsheet to analysis to publish-ready visualizations in minutes.
- Google Alerts: Monitor the entire internet for keywords
- This Quora post with a list of 65 public data sets
- Google Trends: See what searches are trending.
- NewsDiffs: NewsDiffs tracks changes in articles after publication.
- The Research Browser: A web browser designed specifically for research and reporting
- MediaToolkit: Get notified immediately when your brand, beat, or another topic you follow is mentioned anywhere online.
- Typeform: Free beautiful online survey & form builder.
- Trello: An easy, visual way to track the stories your team is working on
- Editorial Calendar: See all your posts, drag & drop to manage your blog.
- Dropbox: Dropbox keeps your files safe, synced, and easy to share.
- Sunrise: A great calendar app
- Slack: The best chat app, for keeping in touch with your whole team
- Rapportive: See people’s LinkedIn profiles right inside Gmail. (This tool is also great for confirming if you’ve correctly guessed someone’s email)
- Evernote: Bring your life’s work together in one digital workspace
Staying up on the news
- ReadThisThing: A newsletter featuring one fantastic piece of journalism each day.
- Nuzzel: The super easy way to see news from your friends
- Guardian Open Platform: A real-time API with access to The Guardian’s journalism
- Reddit: The front page of the internet
- Twitter: Some people still don’t see how powerful this tool is. Use it every day.
- Transcribe: A text editor designed specifically for transcribing interviews.
- OTranscribe: A web app for transcribing interviews.
- Audacity: free audio editing tool
- Overcast: A powerful yet simple iPhone podcast player.
- Meerkat: Tweet live video
- Periscope: Explore the world through someone else’s eyes
- Vine: Create short, beautiful, looping videos in a simple and fun way.
- WeVideo: The leading online video creation platform for video editing, collaboration, and sharing across any device.
- Canva: Super simple graphic design tool.
- Pixlr: Pixlr Editor is a robust browser photo editor.
- Kraken: Image optimization
- Unsplash: Free, beautiful, high-resolution photos that you can do anything you want with
- BBC Academy: Tons of resources on journalism, shared by the teams at BBC
- Power your podcast: Alex Blumberg’s course on podcasts. (Not free, but worth it)
- The clues to a great story: a TED talk by a creator of Wall-E and Toy Story
- How I Got 6.2 Million Pageviews and 144,920 Followers: a blog post by Ali Mese on getting lots of people to read your posts
Did we miss something great in this list? Let us know: email@example.com
- Campaign Monitor: Elegantly simple email marketing
- TinyLetter: A simple way to create newsletters for people who aren’t looking for advanced reporting or features for businesses.
- Curated: An easy way to curate links into an email newsletter
- Mailchimp: Send better email.
- Really Good Emails: A collection of great emails.
- Email 1K: A 30 day course to double your email list
- Buffer: Schedule posts to Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Google+.
- Storify: The easiest way to find, collect, and share what people are saying all over the web
- OneShot: Highlight screenshots of text and share them to Twitter.
- Alexa: Analytical insights to analyze any site’s rank.
- Keywordtool.io: Free alternative to Google Keyword Planner.
- Woorank: Website review and SEO tool.
- Quick Sprout: Complete analysis of your website.
- SEO Site Checkup: Check your website’s SEO problems for free.
- SimilarWeb: Analyze website statistics for any domain.
Interested in great storytelling? Subscribe to ReadThisThing, or just ❤ this post this post if you think more people should see it.