10 Better kicks to scrolling social media
We’ve all been there — scroll, scroll, scroll — Come on, shock me, surprise me, humour me!
Some more wholesome alternatives — by which I mean, dig a bit and identify what you actually want and seek it. If you’re browsing Facebook to have a nosy at friends, then have a quiet nosy, but if you really want to know what they’re up to, why not just message them?
- Humour — use YouTube to search your favourite comedians or the ‘best of’ moments of your favourite shows
- Inspiration — TED talks, the gazillion podcasts out there (recommend Unmistakable Creative and School of Greatness) or sign up to free courses to learn stuff on CreativeLive, Udemy etc.
- Relax — take a nap!
- Ding! — If you need ‘dings’, learn a language inadvertently by playing Duolingo (from Spanish to Japanese!) or Memrise (which also has flashcards for a range of science, art and history topics)
- Connect — message your friends to catch up in person or ring them up for a chat
- Energise — tunes! I particularly like Deezer for all sorts of playlists
- Stingy eyes? — Close them! Whether meditating, observing your breath, listening to the breeze in the trees and yappy birds, listening to music, don’t always need our eyes open.
- Refuel — Move your butt and get a cuppa. Rather than rush around and put the kettle in the fridge. Slow down and take a moment to chill your monkey brain. Just observe yourself waiting for that kettle to boil — got an itch? What did we use to do with our hands?!
- Curiosity — What are those interests you have? What did you enjoy doing as a kid? What do you do know when you don’t have internet?! Even if they are small inklings — time to follow them.
- Play — Take photos, just for the sake it. Of the little things and the big things. Tell the stories after.
- Bonus — You could actually do some kicking around, some burpees even. Gotta keep sprightly!