5 Ways to Banish Money Stress Now
Changing Your Mind About Money
Stress about money is common and most people experience it at one point or another in their lives. Things like student loans, layoffs, being underemployed, medical bills, catastrophic events, or any number of life events can put a strain on your finances.
Let’s face it. Our health is affected by money and the stress most of us feel around it. The added stress that we feel around money can give us high blood pressure, insomnia, digestive issues, skin problems and so much more.
I quit my 9–5 two years ago and have experienced some of this stress while building my business. As an entrepreneur, you don’t always know where your next paycheck is coming from. Are you going to sign the clients you need each month? This stress has led me to a few sleepless nights and that of course leads to other health concerns like low energy and decreased exercise as well as reduced mindfulness around food choices.
How you manage the stress can radically change how you feel about life, your business and your health. Listed below are my top five tips for staying balanced and at ease about money as I build my business.
1. Affirmations. This one has been the biggest contributing factor in relieving my stress about money. I use affirmations to change my thought patterns and beliefs about money (and many other things). I have seen a complete transformation in my life using this tool on its own. I recently found that I had a block about feeling safe to earn money in a non-traditional way. I use the affirmation “It is safe and easy for me to earning money doing what I love”. You can read more about that story here. I am also currently using an affirmation about deserving money that has already helped me feel more relaxed.
2. Tapping. Tapping is a practice of “tapping” on acupressure points on the body with your fingertips while saying something that is causing your stress or anxiety. This tapping releases the physical symptoms of anxiety when you have those stress causing thoughts. This is one practice I have also seen huge transformations using. I believe tapping gave me the confidence to quit my 9–5 job. It helped me release the anxiety of the unknown. It is sometimes known as EFT which stands for Emotional Freedom Techniques. Emotional Freedom. Just let that roll around on your tongue and in your mind for a minute. Doesn’t it feel awesome!
3. Gratitude. I feel like I use this on every single list I write. Ha! However, gratitude is so powerful and can shift just about any mood that I have. Simply by focusing on things that you are grateful for takes your mind off the things that are stressful. It is also another practice that has helped me change my mindset from one of lack to one of abundance in so many areas. For instance, you can be grateful for your home, your health or your clients. Doing this always leaves me feeling like I have everything and everything I need is already here.
4. Deciding. This one may sound silly, but bear with me for a minute. There are times in your life where you may feel like you want to do something or buy something and your checkbook isn’t in alignment. However, the truth of the matter is that we can all have exactly what we want in our lives. All we have to do is decide to have it. A perfect example of this was last year when I really wanted to take training, but felt like the fee was out of my current budget. I scraped around and pulled together not quite half of the money I needed. At first, I said ok, I can’t do this. But my intuition kept telling me that I needed this training. So, I “decided” to go for it. I signed up for the training. The absolute very next day the exact amount of money I needed came to me. It came in the form of a bank mistake that occurred 7 years earlier. Yowza! So decide that you are going to have what you want and then believe it. You may be surprised at what unfolds.
5. Meditation. This is a tool that I don’t use often, but when I do it, I feel so much more peaceful about my stressors. It doesn’t take long to achieve a peace that will last for hours or even days! Simply meditating for 5 minutes can help you feel calm and peaceful. The bonus to meditation is that often you can find yourself going inward and finding the answers you need. After all, we all have everything we need within us. We just do.
No matter what you think or feel about money, there is a tool here that can help you feel better about your situation. Relieving that pressure and stress around money will not only improve your health, but it may also give you the confidence you need to make positive changes in your financial situation.
I’d love to hear from you. Are you struggling with money stress? Have you tried these or other tools? Comment below and tell me your favorite!
Sherry Parks is a Wellness Coach who helps career women escape feeling trapped and out of control in their work life, so that they are happy on their own terms and have joy and excitement for their life. Grab her Free PDF, Top Tips for Successful Food Cleansing, here.
To connect with Sherry, join her women-only Facebook group Lives in Balance.