6 Book Nooks and Some Summer Reading Suggestions
Get the beach reads ready; these comfy spaces are creating a summer reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Some of the most inviting reading spots on Houzz have been telling me their required reading lists, complete with complementary beverages.
Of course, this is a completely subjective exercise, and if you hate my taste in books, refreshments or both, you won’t hurt my feelings. I’m hoping everyone will pitch in with suggestions. I’ve numbered the photographs so you can share the books and bevvies you think would be best for any of these great reading spaces.
- First thing in the morning as soon as your bleary eyes clear — the proximity to the java in this lovely kitchen nook cannot be beat. You’re still in your robe and fuzzy socks, and you’re getting the day started with The New York Times and an espresso. After work, you return, maybe with a copy of Dog Fancy and a Milk-Bone biscuit for Snoopy.
2. Weekday prime time. Gone With the Wind and corn whiskey. Scratch that, Scarlett — get out the decaf sweet tea and anything that falls into the Southern gothic genre.
3. This is the place to be. This spot is plush, cozy and well lit — once you put your feet up here, you won’t want to leave. Dig into a page turner like The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly or Plum Island by Nelson Demille.
4. This soft, light-filled space is where you should go on a day when you feel uninspired. Unearth your stack of travel journals and relive some favorite trips. Get your brain going with some green tea. (I have no idea if that’s a thing, but it sounds like it should be, right?)
5. Afternoon break time. Anything by Jane Austen or a Brontë, or try The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Bring the whole pot of Earl Grey.
6. If literature seems too heavy for your break time, catch up on fashion with an issue of W or GQ and sip water with lemon. (Anything else will make you feel too guilty when you’re looking at runway models with bodies and skin that have been Photoshopped to perfection.)