7 Questions You Should Ask Before Saying No to Yourself
What is self-care and is it really necessary?
Self-care is nourishing your mind, body, and soul in a gentle, no-judgment, forgiving way.
Ultimately, your self-care depends upon what fills YOU up, and that can look different for everyone.
But, here are a few examples of self-care:
- Reading a few pages of a book while sipping a cup of tea.
- Practicing yoga.
- Waking up early and reflecting or meditating.
- Doing something that you enjoy doing for fun.
- Going on a walk.
- Making yourself a healthy meal.
And, here are a few examples of what self-care isn’t:
- Forcing yourself to workout when you are injured or aren’t feeling well.
- Helping others when you are the one who needs a break.
- Sitting down to read a book, but feeling guilty because you should be doing something productive instead.
- Scrolling through social media, news articles, or emails.
7 questions you should ask yourself before saying no to yourself
- Am I saying no because that’s easier?
- Am I saying no because I think I don’t deserve it?
- Am I saying no because I am avoiding my problems?
- Am I saying no because changing is harder than staying the same?
- Am I saying no because I’d rather complain than take action?
- Am I saying no because I feel guilty saying yes?
- Am I saying no because I say I don’t think that I have the time?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you might want to start a self-care routine.
Give yourself permission to say yes to YOU
The reason I can tell you about this is because I am completely guilty of neglecting myself. When I became a mom, I stopped taking time for myself. That eventually led to me having a breakdown.
Now, I’ve learned that when I said “no” to me, I was doing more harm than good.
When I finally learned how to start saying yes to myself again a lot of things happened.
- I became less stressed.
- I became more confident and less anxious.
- My kids became more confident and less anxious.
- My marriage got stronger.
- Overwhelm and exhaustion no longer rules my life.
- I am accepting of myself.
So, make yourself a priority again. Because you can’t give what you don’t have.
Remember, self-care does not need to be complicated, or even take a long time or cost a lot of money. It’s simply putting YOU first again. And, that’s okay. Actually, it’s necessary.
So, leave me a comment below and tell me, how do you take time for yourself?
PS — Have you taken the Brave & Bold Challenge yet? Your life is waiting.