Answer This 1 Question To Get More Clients:
What makes you weird?
Chances are, if you’re in business, you’re looking for more clients or customers, right?
Or maybe you’re thinking about starting a business, and you’re nervously wondering if there are any paying customers out there for you.
There’s one question that will help you attract the people you’ll love and who will love you.
It’s the question that quickly connected me to my ideal clients and gave me clarity in my business. It’s the question that helped me get clear on what I was doing, who I was meant to serve, and that helped those people to find me.
Here it is:
What makes you weird?
That’s it! It may sound simple, easy to ignore, but let me explain.
- What’s unique about you?
- What are the things that make you feel like the odd person out?
- What quirks do you have that would make you stand out in a room?
These are the very same things that will make you memorable to great-fit, long-term clients, because these will be the things that let them know that you get them on a personal level.
What do I mean by weird?
Here’s an example from my own life:
One thing that’s really weird about me is that I love luxury, but I’m willing to get dirty for one reason alone: my horses.
Camping? No way; I’m out, give me my own bed or a swanky hotel room. Getting dirty and sweaty (unless I’m working out and immediately going to shower)? Hate it.
But guess what? I do it for my horses, and I love it. I throw on my barn boots and will slop around in the mud, come home with dirt on my face and in my hair, and it’s one my absolute favorite things because it involves horses.
Then, I’m going to come home, clean up, put on makeup, curl my hair, go out, and feel just as at home having a 4-course meal at my favorite wine bar as I did covered in horse dirt.
This dichotomy makes me different — it makes me weird!
For a long time, though, I hid who I was (not only this, but other things, too) because I thought I was too strange a mix of things.
- I’m an introvert who loves being with people (on my terms)…
- On the Myers-Briggs, my personality type is the rarest (INFJ, less than 1% of the population)…
- I have a secret love of teen dramas…
- I love dark chocolate but hate milk chocolate, chocolate ice cream & cake…
…And a million other quirks.
I used to think, “There’s no one like me, I don’t fit in anywhere.”
Can you relate?
Once I started sharing the things that make me weird, though, I found that more clients came to me, and those clients shared my weirdness, too! In fact, some of my very first clients were horse owners, and though my client base now encompasses many other types of women as well, this “weirdness” helped me stand out early on in my business.
How can you apply this tangibly for yourself and your business?
First, identify some of your personal quirks like the ones above.
Then, make a list like the one below of more character traits, which I keep in front of me to help me determine if someone is a good fit for me:
- driven, motivated high-achiever, others call her a “go-getter”
- often recognized for her accomplishments
- very capable️
- has received awards, scholarships
- feels that what she’s done is never enough
- is called to big things and hasn’t been able to figure out how to do it on the scale of her dreams yet and that’s very frustrating to her
- held back by self doubt, anxiety, perfectionism, fear of failure
- feels pressure about all the things she feels she “should” be doing
- not sure of what her unique gifts are or if anyone would pay her for them
- not knowing if she’s fulfilling her purpose and not sure how to get there
This is my ideal client because I’ve worked through these things, and I know exactly what she needs to move ahead herself in business: a clear simple plan & the accountability to follow through on it.
I got to the point where I could make the list above with clarity because I started with answering the simple question: “What makes me weird?”
And now, 2+ years into my 6-figure business, it’s evolved beyond the fact that I love getting dirty if horses are involved, to the unique ways I support & encourage my clients through their self-doubt, help them quit & stay out of their jobs, and build businesses with simplicity and clarity.
And those things quickly help the right clients know that I’m the person to help them.
So, what makes you weird? And what’s on your list?
Call To Action
Ready for 5 more ways to get clients now? Grab Christine’s free workbook, The Top 5 Things To Do To Get Your First Or Next Client!
Christine McAlister is a business + success coach for high-achieving, motivated women. Her company, Life With Passion, helps them rediscover their unique gifts and create freedom-based businesses.