How An Attitude of Gratitude Can Boost Your Immune System
I’ll be honest. I used to think that showing gratitude was just saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’. Beyond that, I felt like it was a bit a woo-woo.
I read time and time again how many of the greats of this world had a practice of gratitude. People like Tony Robbins, Hal Elrod, Gabby Bernstein and Louise Hay, all spoke of how powerful showing gratitude was to their lives.
It seemed to keep popping up in every book I read, workshops I attended and people I spoke with. So I decided to give this gratitude gig a go.
I began with 3 things that I was grateful for each day. This started with the basics: kids, house, car, food, clothes, sunny weather. I extended on this by adding a ‘why’ to the end of these. “Today I am grateful for the sunshine because it felt so good on my skin.”
Soon enough I was writing out 5 things everyday. This built to 10 in the morning. And soon both morning and night.
I began noticing SO many more things in my day that seemed to appear out of nowhere. Flowers that were brighter and more exotic. The ocean was now pure magic to me. How does Mother Nature do it so perfectly? The horse in the paddock across from our house with the colourful winter jacket. The elderly man down the road who walks his dog past every morning. My children’s laughs and play and imagination. Fresh running tap water. The gift of choice itself.
I honestly started to feel like I was rich. Not with money….but with life. I had SO much amazingness around me but wasn’t seeing it. UNTIL NOW!
I went from always being “busy”, alwasy answering “sooooo busy” when asked how I was, always saying “just let me finish this” or “ I can’t come I have too much to do” to saying YES more often, feeling SO much less stressed and WAY MORE focused and clear. I wasn’t caught up in my brain fog. I had more clarity now. More purpose. More passion.
You see, our central nervous system has a one track mind. It can only focus on one thing at a time. So if you are focused on stress and what’s going wrong and how overwhelmed you feel, then that is ALL you will feel.
When we feel like this, that stress attacks our bodies and our immune system is lowered causing dis-ease. We get cold and flus, stomach viruses and exhaustion. Imagine being in this state of stress regularly? Imagine what that is doing to our bodies!!!
AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE can turn this all around. In the moments you are heading down a one way street of overwhelm and stress >>>> PAUSE>>>BREATHE>>> and begin listing what IS going right, what you ARE doing and show gratitude for it. Attach your WHY to it to create emotion so it embeds more solidly within your core being.
- I am grateful for my gorgeous children because they are my heart walking around outside of my body
- I am grateful that I woke up today with 4 able limbs and a beating heart to enjoy another day on this earth.
- I am grateful to be able to put petrol in my car to get me where I need to go.
- I am grateful for the abundance of food I have access to to nourish my amazing body.
- I am grateful for love. I am surrounded by so much of it.
- I am grateful for my health because it is my wealth. It is my everything.
When I say those out loud I FEEL THEM. I feel the love for my boys and the wholeness of having my health. I feel the gift of limitless food options because that is not a given in all parts of the world. I FEEL IT. So then my central nervous system refocuses on THAT feeling and my level of stress has dissolved.
What if showing gratitude changes that? I believe it does because I know I feel way less stressed than ever before after beginning this ritual and haven’t been sick in years.
Now, my gratitude practices are:
- saying 3 things each at the dinner table every night (my kids love this one. Sometimes they’re grateful for their willy. Hahaha. And why the hell shouldn’t they be?)
- Writing out 10 things I’m grateful for morning and night
- Practicing a Gratitude Kata every moring after waking (taught to me by the amazing Alexi Panos and Preston Smiles.)
- Noticing things throughout my day and showing gratitude out loud in that moment.
- I also send loving energy to 3 people that are bothering me in my life. This was the most challenging but the sense of release and love it brings is pure magic.
So do what gratitude practices and rituals work for you. Buy a gratitude journal or 2 to keep with you and adopt a ritual that you can commit to every single day. Start small like I did and build. But CHOOSE to incorporate an attitude of gratitude into your life. STARTING RIGHT NOW after you finish reading this.
This is one tool that is seriously underrated and WILL change your life.
Try it on.
I love you. So should you.
Love + Empowerment,
Want to work with me? Visit : www.selfloveschool.com.au
P.S. I’d love to hear about your very own gratitude practices and what works for you.