“ Surround Yourself With Those Who Strive To Be Business Owners”: With PhD and Entrepreneur, Dr. Tasha Holland Kornegay
I had the pleasure of interviewing Dr. Tasha Holland-Kornegay. Dr. Holland — Kornegay is an author, motivational speaker, and entrepreneur. She created Margaret’s Box as a way to honor her grandmother while also inspiring others to achieve their dreams.
Dr. Tasha enjoys studying people and understanding their perceptions toward life and their surrounding culture, which in turn cultivates her love of bringing problems to solutions and solutions to problems. It has always been a love affair of hers to help and work with people.
Yitzi: Thank you so much for doing this with us! What is your “backstory”?
Growing up in a low-income community, resources were scarce, therefore, we relied on each other’s abilities and skills. I was known as the problem-solver and I would talk about thinking through your problems. Thus, I was called at times the community therapist. It felt good bringing solutions to problems,and problems to solutions. I guess my community chose my path.
Yitzi: Can you share the funniest or most interesting story that happened to you since you started your company?
The most interesting and funniest stories actually come from and continue to be the people I meet and have met. People are amazing! If we all could just look at each other as people, and not as people with titles — (i.e. a race, a religion) this place called Earth could really be an even better place to live!
Yitzi: So what does your company do?
Our constant goal and objective is to assist people with overcoming mental obstacles that may at times hinder their journey to finding their place, or space of peace and happiness that we all seek.
Yitzi: How have you used your success to bring goodness to the world?
Not sure if I am what you call a success or successful. Have I overcome a few so called challenges throughout life? YES! But, like many, I am constantly chasing success. But what I do try to bring to others from my blessings, are a positive we can all do anything we want attitude if we put forth the effort.
Yitzi: What are your “5 things I wish someone told me before I launched my Start-Up” and why. (Please share a story or example for each.).
- Don’t waste time! Example: You cannot retrieve lost time! Every second must count!
- There is always work to be done. Example: There’s always work to be done, faxing, paper work, and phone calls.
- Surround yourself with those who strive to be business owners. Example: my dad was an entrepreneur, in turn he dropped little business nuggets along the way and here I stand an entrepreneur.
- Read everything before signing. Example: when I first signed my first office lease, I was so excited, I didn’t read through. I thought I was signing a one year lease and was a signing a 5 year lease.
- Don’t become so engulfed with business that you miss life! Example: I missed three years of vacation- we all need a break
Yitzi: Is there a person in the world, or in the US whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch with, and why?
I can’t choose one, as I have two people that have, and continue to inspire me even as we speak. There is no particular order — Michelle (Robinson) Obama, I say Robinson because she was, and remains an awesome, and successful woman in her own right. She was this before becoming Mrs.Obama, as well as the first lady of the United States. And Oprah!! I think we know her accomplishments pretty well.