Foggy Road Ahead? Take Small Steps.
“The first step is to find out what you love — and don’t be practical about it. The second step is to start doing what you love immediately, in any small way possible.”
— Barbara Sher
I assume that you have some idea of what your passion is. Are you having trouble turning that passion into profits? If you are at the beginning of that process, the road ahead may appear a bit foggy. And it’s quite possible that the fog ahead is paralyzing you from even taking one step forward. But…
Did you ever notice how when you take one step into the fog, you can see a little bit further ahead than you could before?
That’s why I dig that quote from Barbara Sher. “Start doing what you love immediately, in any small way possible.” Note that she didn’t say, “Wait until you have every step mapped out toward your big dream before you take even one step forward.”
What if the fog on the road to your dream is pea-soup thick? I’ve got a virtual fog horn that might help.
- Grab a piece of paper or open a new document on your computer.
- Write your big dream at the top of the page.
- Think about one small step you can take, or one small thing you can do right now to move yourself along the road to your dream. Write that down, too.
- Next, make two columns: one headed “I Will Do This…”, and one headed “…By This Date”.
5. Fill in under the columns with a few small, concrete items you can do to complete that small step you identified in #3.
6. Finally, commit to celebrating your success! Complete this sentence: “When I complete my first small step, I will celebrate by…”
Now, head down to the responses section and share what you think your first small step might be. Or celebrate the fact that you’ve taken it.
Originally published at www.barbarabellissimo.com.