What Will Set Your Soul On Fire In 2017?
I couldn’t resist the “What quote will define your life in 2017?” challenge on Facebook last week. When I saw the results, I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was. It pretty much nailed my outlook on life.
So as 2016 comes to a close, rather than looking back, I’m looking forward. And, focusing on these seven things that really set my soul on fire.
1. Double down on people. Technology is transforming how we work and live, but it’s human creativity that accelerates progress. Technology enables people to take on more interesting and higher-value work — so we need to provide learning opportunities to help them step up to these new challenges.
2. Relentlessly pursue gender parity. While Accenture has made tremendous progress in the past year, our resolve will only intensify. Sparked with our signing of the Paradigm 4 Parity pact, I will continue to engage and evangelize to hasten results around the globe for both Accenture and beyond.
3. Try to be my best professionally and personally. In 2017, I will continue to build on my Thrive journey. By being transparent about both my successes and my setbacks, I hope to foster a community of like-minded people who will dispel the myth that burnout is the price we pay for success.
4. Lift as I rise. The next generation holds so much promise. And, I can help these emerging leaders by giving them opportunities to learn and the safety net to fail forward on the path to achieving their aspirations.
5. Finish my Python coding training. Not necessarily because I need it, but it energizes me to learn something that is hard. It helps me be more creative and multi-dimensional.
6. Celebrate more with my team. They are simply awesome. I am very blessed to work with such smart and compassionate people. And, we should take more time to celebrate the amazing things we’re doing for our people and our business.
7. Family. Family. Family. Enough said.
In honor of my mom, who was a teacher, I’m going to close with a quote from a beloved American author, Mark Twain.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
What sets YOUR soul on fire? I hope you are inspired to boldly chase what you are passionate about in 2017. Best wishes for an extraordinary new year.
Follow Ellyn Shook on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ellynjshook1
Originally published at www.huffingtonpost.com on December 19, 2016.