Millions of people use Thumbtack to find and hire skilled professionals in local communities across the country. What gets us out of bed every morning is helping these small businesses grow.
Over the past year, we spent time connecting with and speaking to service pros to see how they were dealing with the conditions 2020 created for their work and life: “How were they adapting?” “What did they need most?” “Where could our product improve?”
Based on this feedback, we prioritized earning the trust of our community of hundreds of thousands of local professionals by making investments of time and resources to improve our pro product offering.
What we heard
First, we wanted to make sure we understood exactly why Thumbtack was essential to so many professionals across the country. That way we could prioritize how we improved our offering to meet their specific needs.
Resoundingly, we heard that pros’ focus had turned squarely to their bottom line. Anything that wasn’t moving their business forward needed to be simplified or stripped away.
We learned that what mattered most was giving them more — more jobs, and on top of that, more profitable jobs. This became our rallying cry.
Giving pros more, with less
After hearing what pros needed most, we knew we needed to simplify our product experience. So we pared back anything that wasn’t helping our pros grow, and grow profitably.
Over the last six months, we’ve rolled out a number of major product improvements for our pros, including:
- Guaranteeing that every time a customer reaches out to a pro with a lead, the lead exactly matches the pro’s targeting preferences. We improved our matching to ensure pros are connected with exactly the right customers and projects based on these preferences.
- Promising refunds in the rare case that any mismatch of targeting preferences does come through the platform.
- Committing to transparency by updating and posting our lead costs every week for every job by county.
- Simplifying budgeting by moving to a single budget for all of a pro’s services across multiple projects and categories. Pros can set a budget and adjust it each week to make sure they never spend more than they want to.
- Improving Price Assurance by adding an automatic cancellation refund for bookings. Leads that exactly match a pro’s targeting preferences are also covered by Price Assurance protection and refunds.
- Limiting the number of pros who can compete for a project lead. Customers can’t message more than a few pros at a time.
These changes address what our pros told us they need most. And, to help pros get up to speed on how to grow profitably with Thumbtack, we created a new “Pro Basics” page.
We’re continually working to improve Thumbtack and the experience we offer to our pros. There is more we can do, like ensure leads and bookings better match pros’ calendar availability and offer more granular controls over targeting preferences. Our team will remain laser-focused on helping our pros grow on their own terms.