Unwrap 14 Surprising Findings from the 2018 Tophatter Gifting Survey
The holiday season can be full of feel good moments and joy, but can also come with stress and anxiety for gift givers. Keeping that in mind, Tophatter distributed a survey to 1,100 U.S. consumers to uncover holiday shopping and gift-giving trends, and we’re sharing the most interesting findings with you.
Tophatter, an entertaining mobile shopping experience, helps 25 million shoppers discover gifts for their loved ones and themselves, and aims to make shopping fun again.
1 . 18.8% of women and 9.7% of men said they would choose a bargain over intimate moments with their partner
2. 77.7% of shoppers will go over their holiday gifting budget this year. It’s okay, 21.4% of people say their family and friends deserve it ❤
3. Can your spouse shop? Only 20.3% of women and 34.5% of men said their spouse is the best gift giver in their life
4. Some spouses really can’t…14.4% of women and 6.8% of men said their spouse is the worst gift giver in their life
5. This might be because 1 in 4 men find their spouse the most difficult to shop for. Ladies aren’t as troubled, only 1 in 6 say the same
6. 42.4% of people want to be surprised by a gift, but also get exactly what they want
7. Get me out of here! More than a quarter of shoppers say the crowds are their least favorite part of holiday shopping
8. 21.8% of people admit to keeping a stash of gifts for people they forgot to buy for
9. Gift shopping is more fun when it’s a treasure hunt. 43.3% of women said they like to discover gifts while browsing
10. 41.6% of consumers would rather receive lots of small holiday gifts than one big one
11. Only 3.7% of people consider their in-laws the best gifters in their lives
12. 1 in 4 shoppers says figuring out what to buy everyone is their least favorite part of holiday shopping
13. Only 6.7% of shoppers think their kids are the hardest people to buy gifts for—the wishlist for Santa probably helps
14. Gifts are better than money! Only 11% of people prefer to give cash or gift cards over physical presents.
Want to learn more about Tophatter click here.
Tophatter is the world’s most entertaining mobile discovery shopping marketplace. With over 25 million shoppers, Tophatter generated over $300 million of GMV in 2017.
The company was founded by Ashvin Kumar and Chris Estreich, and launched in December 2011. Goodwater Capital, CRV, August Capital, and others have invested $35 million in the business to date. Tophatter is headquartered in San Francisco and also has offices in Shanghai.
Tophatter commissioned Google Surveys to survey U.S. consumers to uncover holiday shopping and gift-giving trends. The full survey was completed by 1,100 online consumers in the U.S. in October 2018, and findings are representative of the U.S. population.
For more information and questions: email@example.com