What delicious meals are treatsurers whipping up with surplus food ingredients saved via our treatsure app? We’ll take a look at a few sweet and savoury treats handmade by our creative treatsurers!
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — *treatsurer @thecharlottemei: Pear Galette*
- 180g flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp sugar (granulated)
- 170g butter (COLD. Keep in freezer before using), cut to 1” slices
- 3 tbsp ice water
- 2 large Asian pears, sliced thinly (Taiwanese pears from UglyFood)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional if fruits are sweet)
- Jam (optional)
- Egg wash (1 beaten egg + 1 tsp water)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Plain Greek yoghurt from Atasco
- Add the salt and sugar into your flour and mix well
- Prepare the dough by first tossing half the flour onto your work surface. Lay the cold butter onto the flour, and add the remaining flour mixture over it
- With a rolling pin, flatten the butter into sheets, and use a bench scraper to bring the mass together into a loose pile
- Place the pile into a large bowl and sprinkle 3–4 tbsp ice water. Mix with a spoon until incorporated, and press the dough down gently into the bowl a few times to press everything together. Work fast so the dough doesn’t get too warm
- Sprinkle your work surface, rolling pin and dough with flour, and roll the dough out into a rectangle about ¼” thick. You want to constantly make sure that the butter does not stick to the rolling pin nor the work surface, so dust generously with flour! Once rolled into a rectangle, fold the two edges into the centre (like a letter). It is normal if it looks crumbly and loose
- Give the dough a 90˚ turn and repeat the rolling and folding
- Repeat as before, until the dough begins to hold together. The final dough should look creamy. Test by squeezing it in your palm and it should hold together loosely.
- Once ready, fold in the edges and press it into a circle 1” thick. Chill for 15 minutes
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 180C and prepare the filling. Place the sliced pears into a bowl and season with lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar (if needed). If the fruits are juicy, you may add in some cornstarch to absorb the liquid
- When the dough is ready, place it on a lightly-floured work surface and dust the top of the dough with flour. Roll it out into any shape you fancy, and lay the pear slices in the middle
- Brush the top of the pear slices with jam (orange marmalade or light clear jams work best) and fold the edges of the dough in. The jam works as a glaze, but it is optional
- Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with some granulated sugar
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180C
- Serve with yoghurt or ice cream, and a dusting of cinnamon
- Another alternative to the dough would be my 3-ingredient pie crust! Otherwise, if you can’t be fussed about making your own dough, you can get away with store-bought puff pastry for this recipe!
- To jazz things up, you can roll in some crushed walnuts into the pastry
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
*treatsurer @beckypie24: Simple Grape Smoothie*
Ingredients (vary amount to taste):
- Frozen Kyoho grapes from UglyFood
- Splash of water (or as needed)
- Honey/Maple Syrup (optional)
*Fruit Prep Pro Tip: To prevent fruits like grapes from spoiling, wash, peel the skin off & pop them in the freezer!
- Blend all the ingredients & voila!
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — -*treatsurer @beckypie24: Lemon Blueberry Yoghurt Cake*
- Ugly lemons from UglyFood to make the lemon zest
- Blueberries from UglyFood
- Natural Greek yoghurt from Atasco
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Vegetable oil
Instructions — follow the recipe here:
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —*treatsurer @JK: Homemade Strawberry Jam*
440g of strawberries from UglyFood
1 cup of sugar (or 3/4 if you prefer it less sweet)
1. Add chopped strawberries & sugar to a pot and stir to mix
2. Boil on low heat for 25–30 mins, stirring occasionally, until reduced & thickened
3. Remove from heat and let it cool
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — -*treatsurer @jalau9: Lemon Squares Pie*
For the Crust:
- 125g or 1/2 Cup + 2 Teaspoons Unsalted Butter, Cold and chopped into Cubes
- 90g or 3/4 Cup Plain / All Purpose Flour
- 28g or 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 28g or 1/4 Cup Cornstarch / Cornflour
- 1.4 or 1/4 Teaspoon Table Salt
For the Lemon Mixture (lemons from UglyFood):
- 3 Large Eggs, weighing 60g inclusive of shell, Room Temperature
- 75g or 1/4 Cup + 1 Tablespn Lemon Juice ( about two lemons )
- 133g or 2/3 Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 30g or 1/4 Cup Plain / All Purpose Flour (Optional: Sifted )
- Lemon Zest from 1 Lemon
Instructions: Follow the recipe on https://bakeomaniac.com/simple-lemon-squares-recipe/
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — -*treatsurer @beebee: Healthy & Nutritious Thai Green Curry*
- Thai green curry paste (any brand of your choice)
- Veggies from UglyFood (diced):
500 gm pumpkin
1 long zucchini
1 big onion
200 gm mushrooms
- Coconut milk (to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
1) Boil half of a big saucepan of water.
2) When water boils, add pumpkins.
3) After 10 mins, add mushrooms, onion and salt.
4) After 10 more mins, add zucchini and carrot.
5) After boiling for about 20 mins, add green curry paste.
6) When the veggies are cooked, add coconut milk to taste.
7) Optional: Serve in coconut husk.
Do tag us @treatsure if you’ve tried any recipe suitable with our surplus ingredients, or if you have any recipes to share! :)