Why Mangoes Are Good For You : 5 Powerful Health Benefits
Mangoes are one of my favourite fruits. Succulent and delicious, it can be used in a wide variety of dishes. My favourite way is to put in my smoothies.
It contains more than 20 different vitamins and minerals. This makes it one of the most nutrient dense fruits. Packed full of nutrients, it has many powerful benefits. Here is my list of the top 5 health benefits:
1. Protects Against Cancer: Mangoes contain ascorbic acid, carotenoids, polyphenols, and terpenoids, which protect the body against breast, colon, leukaemia, and prostate cancers. A report published by the Texas A&M University claims the polyphenolic compounds in mangoes decrease oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can lead to chronic diseases like cancer.
2. Helps lower Cholesterol: Mangoes contain pectin, fibre and vitamin C that is found to decrease serum cholesterol levels.
3. Improves Digestion: Mangoes are good for digestion because of the presence of fibre that prevents constipation. In addition, mangoes contain certain digestive enzymes like mangiferin, catechol oxidase, and lactase that break down proteins and aid digestion.
4. Improves eye health: One cup of sliced mango contains 25% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin A. Vitamin A improves eye health and vision. It is essential for the optimal functioning of the retina. It also helps maintain the health of the mucous membranes in the eye, and thus helps protect the cornea and eye surface, and prevents dry eye.
5. Improves Immunity: Mangoes contain over 25 types of carotenoids, vitamin C and vitamin A. This boosts the immune system to help prevent all kinds of ailments.