Umi Recipe: Chef Jo Anne’s Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
12 slices fried breaded eggplant
2 1/2 cups frozen, chopped spinach thawed & squeezed dry
1/2 lb sliced Portobello mushrooms, sautéed in olive oil till crispy and seasoned with salt & pepper to taste.
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 oven ready lasagna noodles
16 ounces cottage or ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Tomato Sauce. In a heavy bottomed pot, cook onion and garlic over medium heat until well browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and water.
- Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta or cottage cheese with half of the mozzarella, half of Parmesan, egg, remaining parsley, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over tomato sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with one third of the eggplant slices, one third spinach, one third sautéed mushroom, and half the combined mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce over this layer. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil. (To prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.)
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.