5 Tips for Dealing With Economically Abusive Relationships
98% of domestic violence victims experience economic abuse.
If you are in a domestic violence situation, these tips will help you protect your finances and secure your financial future.
- Secure your financial records: Keep copies in a safe, secret place outside your home.
- Set aside extra money: Leave emergency funds with a trusted person or in a secret location.
- Safeguard your credit: Obtain a copy of your credit report, available for free from credit bureaus Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion.
- Create a budget: Estimate how much your living expenses will cost you after you leave the abusive situation so you can be prepared.
- Protect your identity: Change your PIN codes and passwords and keep them secret. Make sure the abuser can’t track your online activities.
To learn more about economic abuse or to get help, please visit www.urinyc.org or call (800) 621–4673.