🚀 Product Update: New Photo Page, Following Feed Progress, & more
Our November Week 1 product update that we share internally with the Crew team, keeping them up to date on the product changes to Unsplash over the past week.
New photo page preview
Some of our goals with the new photo page are:
- allow deeper exploration into a photo
- surface information more easily
- support future features, like remixes and stories
- allow for more discovery and “rabbit-holing”
- support portrait orientation photos
- better SEO
At the same time, we wanted to balance our favourite things about the current photo page:
- the size and resolution of photos
- the speed and simplicity of jumping in and out of a photo
- a very minimal UI that doesn’t distract from the photo
We aren’t ready to roll it out to everyone just yet, but we’ll give you a small sneak peek below of the interaction to reveal more content:
Following Feed Progress
We still have some polishing and tweaking to do, but we’ll likely move to internal testing later this week, with a public experiment the following week.
- Tim and I finished the last parts of the realtime pipeline, hooking up realtime events in Unsplash to the data pipeline. The next step will be to begin using that data in the app, instead of the legacy system.
- Josh added support for mobile grids to the PhotoGrid component
- I added cover photos to the related tags shown in searches and at the bottom of collections, making them a bit more visual.
TTU: 5.73M minutes (+5.16% over the same week a month ago)