Help for Capital IQ is available from several places. Here are five ways to get support for yourself. Please remember you can still come to the Library for help if you need it.
1. Logging in with a shared username and password
The University of Manchester has four logins to share between all its Capital IQ users. These can be found on the entry page for Capital IQ on Library Search (scroll to “special username and password”).
- If you log in with a username that someone else is currently using, they will be thrown off. If they attempt to log back in with it, you will be thrown off.
- If you create lists or screens, these will be saved to the current username and not be available to the others.
- The same set of logins are shared with the Excel add-in.
2. Using the online help guides, videos and webinars
Click “Help” at the top of the screen to launch the help pages. The “Popular Functions” section is organised similarly to the menus in Capital IQ, including, for example: Company Profiles, Financials, Screening and Office Plug-in.
Each section is organised differently, but expect to find items such as:
- training videos (including a screening overview),
- function descriptions (including help for the Excel add-in), and
- a few PDFs (including the 35-page Excel user guide), and
- webinars, including past webinar recordings and upcoming webinars.
You will need to log in to view any of the help pages. Additionally, you will need to provide your name and University email address to sign up to a webinar; look out for the EMEA location option.
3. Asking the help desk a question
If you have looked through the help pages and are still having trouble with your search, you may wish to contact the help desk. To do this, click on the “Contact Us” menu at the top, choose “Ask a Question” and type in the box.
Please include your email address in the message, as any reply will otherwise go to the Library and we will not know who it is for!
4. Logging into the Excel add-in
Do you want to use add columns to an existing data set? Or use the identifier converter tool? If you are using a PC with the Capital IQ Excel add-in (Office plug-in) installed, you may log in to the add-in with the same username and password as the website.
You will be asked if you want to enable extra keyboard shortcuts (we always disable these). Remember, the usernames are shared with other users and cannot be used by more than one person at once.
5. Resetting the Excel add-in
Sometimes the Capital IQ Excel add-in stops behaving correctly; for example, you can access the templates but all the formulas give errors instead of data. You may have to run the Plug-In Diagnostics. To do this, follow the following steps.
- Close all Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
- In the Start menu, choose All Programs > Capital IQ Office Plug-in > Plug-in Manager.
- In the Configuration tab, if the Excel option is not ticked, tick it and click the Apply button.
- In the Diagnostics tab, click the Run Now button and wait for the test to finish.
- Relaunch Excel and try the add-in again.