Best parenting tips EVER! 🐣
A colleague recently had a baby, and he mentioned that he was open to hearing everyone’s tips and tricks about being a new parent. I realized there were a few things I learned along the way.
I wanted to compile a list of some of my favorites to help others.
- Read this book: Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five by John Medina. It is all data-based science so that you can get facts, which will likely surprise you.
- If you want a baby to relax instantly and fall asleep quickly, use gentle symmetrical face stimulation. For example, take your thumb and middle finger, start them together on the forehead and gently move down with a feather-light touch on both sides of the face to the chin.
- Gripe water, with its natural and safe ingredients, is incredible. 99% of the time we used it, it would relax a crying baby within about 60 seconds.
- Get kids walking early. Start with a bouncer, transition to a walker, and walk them by holding their sides under their arms (there are even harnesses to help with this). I didn’t know how much it would change things, but the effects were fantastic. Our daughter was able to go where she wanted and do what she wanted. It was exciting to see the transition, and it made parenting much more manageable.
- Attachment parenting is great. Don’t worry about making your child independent overnight. They will wean off of things on their own, especially when they are encouraged to, as we say, “be a big girl.” A healthy balance of people who are more and less attachment-oriented helps to meet those involved needs.
- Treat them like adults. Set expectations, communicate clearly, etc. Babies will impress you by how responsible they can be.
- Get Healing Balm and use it liberally with nearly every diaper change and avoid diaper rash entirely.
- Get this baby wipes warmer. It may seem silly, but a cold, wet wipe is not a welcome sensation for your newborn.
- Don’t pinch when zipping. If you ever zip up baby clothes, learn a technique where your finger is staying between their skin and the zipper when you zip it up so that it never accidentally pinches them.
- Super Simple Songs is an incredible cartoon resource. They are on YouTube and Spotify, so they’re always accessible!
I intend to add more but wanted to get this out for now 😀
What are your favorite tips? 💡 Add a comment below ⌄