2020's Top Ten Stories: Inside Strategic Command
In at number 10 is nine things you may not know about UK Strat Com. As we countdown to 2021, we are taking a look at some of our most-read stories from the last year.
This is the first in our New Year’s Eve countdown. Each day in the run-up to New Year’s Day we will be reposting our most-read stories from 2020.
You’ve probably never heard of us before: Inside Strategic Command
Within the Ministry of Defence, there are some organisations you likely haven’t heard of, or if you have, you probably don’t know a great deal about.
One of those organisations is Strategic Command or UK Strat Com as it’s known in the MOD. Often taking a low profile, it’s one of the most important parts of Defence.
UK Strat Com brings together elements from the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force, as well as civil servants and contractors. Together they deliver ‘joint’ operations on land, at sea, in the air, in space and across the digital world.
Here are 9 things you probably didn’t know about UK Strat Com: 👇
1. All joint military operations are controlled from the UK Strat Com HQ, just outside of London
There are more than 20,000 people who work 24/7 helping to defend the UK and our allies. Wherever and whenever we are needed. Currently, there are around 11,000 soldiers, sailors and airmen and women deployed overseas on 39 operations in 36 countries.
2. Their work means that they take care of everything, from IT to medicine, for tens of thousands of service personnel
Strat Com’s remit is vast. There are 11 top-level organisations that sit under the Strat Com umbrella. Many of those also have sub-organisations that sit under them. As such, UK Strat Com has an impact in every area of what’s going on in wider Defence.
3. Directing the UK’s elite Special Forces, some of the world’s best, all around the globe
As the home of the Directorate of Special Forces, UK Strat Com coordinate and facilitate short notice and high-risk operations to defend the UK and her allies.
4. Transporting essential supplies to tens of thousands of people, ensuring they have everything they need to keep us safe
An Army marches on its stomach. Ships, aircraft and vehicles need fuel. These are the basics, but there are tens of thousands of components and individual pieces of kit that are required to ensure that we remain fighting fit. To achieve this, the Armed Forces relies on the logistic expertise which is coordinated by UK Strat Com.
5. Helping design state of the art weapon systems like the ones on our new Aircraft Carriers
Some of the best scientific and engineering minds have worked with UK Strat Com personnel. Designing cutting-edge technology that ensures we remain at the forefront of development and innovation, from state-of-the-art weaponry to life-saving medical technology. UK Strat Com helps to ensure the UK remains future-ready.
6. Taking care of our Overseas Bases, everywhere from Cyprus to the Falklands, where thousands of military personnel are ready to defend the UK and our allies
Each year tens of thousands of people, both military and civilian, are deployed to our overseas bases. UK Strat Com ensures those bases, and the people working hard within them, are looked after so that they can focus on their all-important job of keeping us all safe.
- Read about the UK’s longest peacekeeping mission in Cyprus
- Airborne Medics deploy to Falklands in the fight against coronavirus
7. Supporting global relief efforts, helping to make the world a safer place. Ranging from hurricane recovery in the Caribbean to supporting developing nations in their fight against terrorism.
Personnel within UK Strat Com remain on high readiness to deploy at a moment’s notice anywhere in the world they are needed. When other nations face a crisis and ask the UK for help, we need to respond quickly and effectively. It’s UK Strat Com that ensures this can happen.
8. Employing some of the best cyber specialists in the country to help protect the UK from online attacks
The internet and computer technology have changed all our lives for the better. But unfortunately, there are people out there that would exploit this incredible technology to try and do us harm. UK Strat Com cyber specialists work tirelessly to help protect us from this new and growing threat.
9. Helping in the fight against COVID-19 by providing the NHS with military doctors and nurses to work in hospitals across the country
UK Strat Com’s medical specialists are on the frontline assisting the NHS in the fight against COVID-19. Logistics specialists are also helping to ensure that Personal Protective Equipment is getting to those that need it most. Our personnel are also helping with the national testing effort.