tldr; We upgraded the brand from Littlstar to Rad, added tons of new features, more free stuff, and we’ll be on PS4, PS5, PSVR, Android TV, iPhone / iPad, and web / mobile web at launch. Skip to down below for the release notes. New website at https://rad.live.
Rad is a Vibe. It’s a Community. It’s a Movement.
We’re super excited to bring Rad and a huge new release to the community! We’ve been hard at work for everyone, building more features, getting more content, and preparing for release on PlayStation 5 (VR and PS4 as well), Android TV, iOS, and beyond. We have learned a ton over the last year and have been building all that experience into a groundbreaking, more social platform focused on communities. It’s the future of TV where the viewers are in control.
We’ve launched new channels with superstars in gaming, e-sports, and comedy, and added capabilities that make it easier to chat, watch, and share content and shows with friends. We’ve added more free stuff and made the premium stuff better, including rewards points you can use on the platform. We’re focusing the content types to be more community and fandom driven, where the viewers and creators have more control on the platform. Not trying to be everything to everyone, but focusing on the latest in gaming, music, comedy, and sports. It’s cheaper than Netflix/Hulu/Disney, it doesn’t have the trash of YouTube, and it doesn’t cost $60 like cable. It has a free side and a cheap premium option at $4.99, and it has the ability to play your own content and movies. Your PS4 premium will carry over to PS5, and will be available on other devices starting now.
Huge props to the team and our partners for getting such an amazing product together for the holidays, and we can’t wait to tell you about the giveaways planned for PlayStation 5 and Android TV (Follow our social accounts for updates). On to the show!
New Updates Launching November 5, 2020
New Branding Rollout:
- The app branding will change from “Littlstar” to “Rad”. It will stay in the same store listing, which means no new downloads or new app store entry, just an update to existing apps. Little Star Media, Inc. remains the publisher.
- The new Rad app (free and premium) will be available on: PS4, PS5, PSVR, iPhone, iPad, Android TV, web / mobile web. Android mobile and Apple TV are still available under Littlstar but not updated yet.
- We will be rolling out other game consoles, smart TVs, and looking at Oculus support again. Tell us which ones you want first!
New Product Features:
- Live Chat / Watch Together. For the initial launch, we partnered with Google on Android TV to add the ability to watch TV and live events together with others. This will include private rooms in the near future, and it will work across devices, but today it’s a global chat. The goal is to include it in VR as well, so you can create private rooms with friends and chat there.
- PS4, PSVR and PS5. We will not only be on PlayStation 5, but there will be a dongle available so the PSVR headset will work on PS5. Of course it will still work on PS4.
- Expanded Personal Player for Video and VR Video That You Own. We improved external RSS feed support, expanded side-loading video player support for VR and TVs, local network support with UPnP, and working on local server integrations.
- Live Streaming and Events. We launched live events originally in 2015, but didn’t run them until Covid hit. This meant an acceleration of music festivals going digital and we needed to respond.
- Follow Creators You Love. You will be able to follow your favorite creators and channels, and get updates when they post new videos or new events are going live.
- Earn Ara Tokens and Rewards. You will be able to earn rewards for doing things on the platform. We are building in features to use those tokens on account upgrades, customization, skins / environments, tips for creators, and more.
- Takeovers (aka Playlists). We’re launching the ability to create custom TV channels that you can share with your friends. When you create a playlist, you can publish it as a lean-back TV channel and invite your friends to chat and watch with you.
- Expanded Premium Content. We added more On Demand content (with no ads). Select new partners include: Complex Magazine (Music, Street wear, Culture), Proximity (EDM, Music), Whistle (Trick shots, comedy, sports), Hollywire (Celebrity News), Revry (LGBTQ+), Law&Crime (News), and more.
- 30 Free TV channels with a target of 50 by the end of the year. These channels will include ads, but it’s a ton of free content to watch that isn’t just VR content. This content will be available on all screens, and also in our PSVR app, so you can watch TV in VR rooms. Venn (Gaming, E-Sports), ConTV (Anime), Comedy Dynamics (Comedy), World Poker Tour, Social Club (Cannabis), and more.
We would love to hear your thoughts! Email us at email@example.com and tell us what features and content you want most.
The Rad Team