iOS 11–100 NEW Hidden Features & Changes
The folks at Cupertino decided to fire up the Apple Beta Software Program once again and with that, they released a public beta of the new iOS 11. Announced earlier this month at WWDC, the new iOS 11 already saw 2 beta releases. And now with the public beta release plenty of changes and added features have emerged. So we’ve prepared a list of the most significant changes and new features in iOS 11.
- Landscape lock screen on 4.7” and 5.5” (Not confirmed for 4” sizes).
- Sliding up to see older notifications also works on the lock screen.
- New animation when unlocking the device. The lock screen slides up.
- You can no longer slide on a notification to interact with it in either direction.
- New lock screen music player.
- Flatter passcode interface. Buttons aren’t outlined and the text is bolded.
- Cellular signal dots replaced with signal bars, and there are four bars instead of five.
- The battery icon is different. The border has a slightly larger gap, making it more distinct.
- VPN icon has changed.
- Vibration notification for a charging has changed. Now it’s one long pulse.
- Opening/closing apps have a new animation (Background recedes/rushes back).
- Entering app switcher also has a new animation (Entire UI pane slides in from the left).
- New Apple Watch pairing interface.
- Quick Reply keyboard is now dark.
- Widgets view in iPad is now one column.
- Four old ones removed.
- New iOS 11 wallpaper.
- When moving icons, they have a different feel to them, moving around more slowly, like you’re dragging them along.
- You can tap on other applications while dragging one in order to pick up multiple apps at once, like drag and drop on the iPad.
- Icons in dock no longer have labels.
- Spacing in the dock for <4 icons is more spread out, fills the space.
- Icons on iPad no longer wiggle when editing.
- Control Center is customizable.
- Native screen recording from the control center.
- Apple TV remote functionality built into the control center.
- Flashlight now has four levels of brightness instead of three.
- iPads with flash now get a flashlight.
Recommended for you: Best Weather Apps for iPhone 2017
- Apple Pay interfaces in App Store when buying apps.
- 32-Bit apps removed from App Store. 32-Bit apps on your phone will not open.
- New category icons in App Store.
- App Store auto-plays videos.
- Tools in Notes got a new interface.
- Monospaced text option in Notes.
- Choose Notes background (e.g. grid, lines, blank). This can be varied from note to note.
- Support For Tables in Notes.
- New notes can be pinned from your lock screen (but you can’t access your other notes without unlocking the phone).
New Video Player
- New video player (flat, dark gray, more rounded and minimal).
- Less intrusive volume indicator in the video player.
- Scrubber bar is now on the bottom.
- Gif support within photos.
- Editing UI in photos is tweaked.
- Filters have been renamed.
- One new filter.
- “Photos & Camera” section in Settings has been separated into “Photos” and “Camera”.
- New option to upload photos to iCloud with cellular data.
- Auto upload of photos to iCloud automatically gets disabled when the battery is low.
- Share sheet in Photos has “Create Watch Face” option (makes a Kaleidoscope face).
- New ‘Smart Invert’ inverts colors but not images. It’s a sort-of Dark Mode.
- Option to shut down the phone in General Settings.
- Option to change the default behavior for apps showing previews on the lock screen.
- New Notifications interface.
- Program different double tap functions for each AirPod (Left vs Right).
- Removed Single Sign-On for Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- “Accounts & Passwords” tab in Settings.
- Emergency SOS tab in settings, adjust emergency contacts.
- Can no longer use Airplane Mode and Bluetooth at the same time (But can still use WiFi).
- “Storage & iCloud Usage” renamed “iPhone Storage”.
- New UI for showing used/available storage.
- New recommendations for clearing up storage.
- Options to offload unused apps.
- Tells you the last time you used an app.
- Tells you how much storage ‘System’ is taking up.
- App specific recommendations to clear storage.
Siri & Spotlight
- Spotlight and Siri now one tab in settings, called ‘Siri & Search’.
- New Siri icon.
- Clear search history in spotlight.
- Spotlight now has a dictionary.
- New Siri icon when inactive.
- Siri can now laugh.
- Siri can now better answer certain questions (e.g. dividing by zero).
- Siri settings sync across iCloud.
- “Type To Siri”
- New full-screen effects in Messages.
- One handed keyboard (accessible in the keyboard selector).
- “Business Chat”. A future feature allowing users to chat with customer support for businesses within iMessage.
- “Hide Alerts” slide over option for conversations in iMessage.
- Messages storage options suggest reviewing attachments and large conversations.
- Safari scrolls with more momentum, like in other applications.
- Safari loading bar integrated into the search bar.
- “Try to Prevent Cross-Site Tracking” option in Safari settings.
- New “Camera & Microphone Access” option for Safari.
- Drag and Drop available in limited areas on iPhone (Files.app).
- Autofill passwords in 3rd Party applications.
- Wirelessly copy files and settings from old phone to new during set up.
- Can transfer WiFi passwords between devices.
- Multiple DNS servers on a WiFi network.
- Support for FLAC audio files.
- AirPods icon for audio option during phone calls.
- New interface for removing passes in Wallet.
- Timer now precise to the second.
- New Calculator icon and interface.
- QR Code reader in Camera.
- Camera now has a level feature when lying flat.
- New Automation triggers in HomeKit.
- Take Live Photos during FaceTime calls.
- Zoom with one finger (like with Google Maps).
- New Wallet interface.
- Pair with NFC function.
- CarPlay music and maps interface has been updated.
- New message badge is shown on Messages app in CarPlay.
- Press and pull down on keys in iPad keyboard to type special characters.
- Multitasking on iPad no longer pauses application.
- Emergency SOS (reached by pressing the lock button 5 times in a row).
- New screenshot interface, allows marking up and sharing them immediately after taking them.
- 3D Touching the left edge to enter app switch is gone (possibly a bug).
Originally posted on theappspace.com