Best tips to knock your virtual interview out of the park
Set yourself up for success from the start.
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused some troubles for businesses around the globe. Now that things are slowly getting better, many companies are getting back to hiring.
Although, these interviews will very likely be taking place remotely — instead of going and meeting your interviewer, you will now be doing your interview online.
Here are the top 10 remote interview tips to help you prepare for that important online interview.
- Test your technology — The last thing you want is for the audio or screen to not work.
- Dress the part — You still need to dress up like you would if you were to go in for an interview.
- Make sure you’re ready — Be ready at least 10 minutes before the interview to give you a chance to relax and show you are eager to begin the interview.
- Make eye contact — It’s important that you maintain eye contact throughout the interview since it will show you are focused and confident and not distracted.
- Remove distractions — You need to be fully engaged with the interviewer throughout the interview, so remove all distractions and ensure you are in a quiet space.
- Keep your CV next to you — Have a copy of your CV next to you printed out because it may look like you are distracted flicking between different screens throughout the interview, making it look unprofessional.
- Prepare and rehearse key questions — These questions can be found online as generic questions asked during the interview.
- Show that you researched the company and position — This is one way to stand out during your remote interview as it shows you have taken the time to research and familiarise yourself and that you really want the job.
- Market yourself — This interview is your time to shine, so make sure you show why you should be hired for this position: showcase your skills including that you are reliable and dependable.
- Follow-through — Once the interview is finished, make sure you send an email simply thanking the interviewer for the interview and their time to show you are genuinely interested in the position.
You are now ready to start doing interviews and land on your dream tech job. And your first job doesn’t need to be a big question mark. In the end, all of this is about you and your choices. And there is no “right way”. Only your way.
Matching today with tomorrow,
Your Future.Works team