This article happens to be the most popular article in Web Designer / Web Developer Magazine, even if it’s aged a bit now! Keep in mind that the stats offered here are from 2011/2012 and have only increased since! The Google screenshots are also now changed somewhat from back then. But, the info is still as relevant today as ever. Amazing stuff!! :-) Thanks for the many thousands of hits on this, everyone.
For years now, video has exploded in popularity, and it’s only going to continue. In this article, I’m going to offer a study of this phenomenon, and how it could positively affect your business.
Routinely, when I meet with clients, I ask them: “What’s the number one search engine in the world?”
Usually, they reply, “Google.”
“Right,” I say. “Now, what’s the number TWO search engine?”
This question usually throws them. Some say Yahoo, naturally. But, they’re wrong; it’s Youtube!
Oh, and, guess who owns Youtube? Why yes … it’s Google! Stick around and I’ll expand on why that’s an enormously important fact. Youtube’s stats speak for themselves: [Stats below are from 2011!]
- More video is uploaded to YouTube in one month than the 3 major US networks created in 60 years
- 60 hours of video are uploaded every minute, or one hour of video is uploaded to YouTube every second.
- Over 4 billion videos are viewed a day
- Over 800 million unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over 3 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube
- Source: Youtube’s stats page (here)
Let’s Back Up a Bit
To begin our study of the importance of video marketing, I’d like to show you a typical results screen from a Google search. In this screen, I simply searched for “construction contractors.” Here’s what came up:
It’s not important for you to be able to read the text on that screenshot. Simply notice…