If you are a writer and publish your articles regularly on Medium and Dev Community, you must already know that both the platforms have different formatting syntax for writing articles. While Dev Community uses markdown which is a standard format and very popular in the open-source community, Medium has its own format for styling your articles.
If you want to publish the same article on both the platforms, the only way to do it is to write the article twice — once for Dev Community and once for Medium. This is cumbersome, requires the writer to have knowledge of both Markdown & Medium’s formatting syntax and takes considerable time.
Medium-to-Dev Chrome Extension
As the name suggests, this Chrome Extension can convert articles from Medium’s Styling format to Markdown. Moreover, the extension is also capable of creating a draft on the Dev Community using the generated Markdown. The following video illustrates: -
In this tutorial, we will create this extension. If you want to use the extension before we begin coding, you can download it from the Chrome Web Store. The Extension is available on the Chrome Web Store: -
Steps to use the Extension
- Add the extension to Google Chrome using the above-mentioned link on Chrome Web Store.
- Open Dev Community’s website and make sure that you are logged in.
- Now, open an article on Medium that you have published. You can also open a saved draft.
- Click on Extensions icon located on the right side of Address Bar. Then, click on Medium to Dev
- Now, a pop-up window will open. Once it is loaded, you can see the markdown version of your current article.
- Click on the button Copy to ClipBoard to copy the markdown.
- Click on Open in Dev.to
- A new tab will open. Once it is finished loading, you will be able to see the draft for your Dev Article containing the markdown of your current article.
- The github gists is supported which is very useful for developers
- Youtube Videos are supported.
Future Enhancements coming soon
- Exporting from Friend Link
- Some diagrams might not be working, adding support for those.
If you find any bugs or enhancements, feel free to comment here or in chrome dashboard page.