2016 Health Literacy Resolutions
As the calendar pages of 2015 dwindle, let’s commit to making 2016 bigger, better, and more health literate than ever! We can do it, dear readers.
Still looking for a resolution? Here are a few to ponder (even though you’re probably already doing them because, well, our readers are the best!):
- Lose the jargon and use plain language terms
- Use the CDC Index to see if you can make your content even better
- Make sure your online content is accessible to people with disabilities
- Test your materials with users — especially with people who have limited health literacy skills
- Remember that health literacy isn’t only about written communication — the same principles apply to how you communicate health information in person
The bottom line: In 2016, recommit to making health literacy a priority in the work you do.