February 21, 2017
It’s Tuesday, hope everyone had a good Presidents’ Day break. Over the weekend, the president discussed a nonexistent terrorist attack at a campaign rally; news outlets reported on a secretive plan to ease tensions between Ukraine and Russia; the Russian ambassador to the UN died unexpectedly on the eve of his 65th birthday; California has been on flood watch due to recent rainstorms; and President Trump named Army Lt. General H.R. McMaster as his next National Security Advisor.
Anyway, good luck with the week ahead.
The Wonks Team
Politics and Public Policy
- The Washington Post reports on the president’s planned executive orders to rescind environmental protections established by the Obama administration, including rules prohibiting mining companies from dumping in waterways.
President Trump is preparing executive orders aimed at reversing Obama-era policies on climate and water pollution…www.washingtonpost.com
- The Upshot Blog analyzes the logic behind President Trump’s 2-for-1 rule for replacing regulations, explaining the disconnect between the benefits government regulations create for consumers with the burdens such rules place on businesses.
Putting emotions aside for a moment, there is indeed a problem - one recognized by both major political parties for…www.nytimes.com
Business and Economy
- Bloomberg News writes about the benefits of automation with the outsourcing of nuclear waste disposal jobs from humans to robots in the United Kingdom and the broader safety issues of clearing out used nuclear materials.
To enter Europe's largest nuclear site, a visitor must be wearing construction coveralls, steel-toed boots, a hard hat…www.bloomberg.com
Science and Health
- The San Francisco Chronicle reports on the promise of End Hep C SF, the city’s program to end the spread of hepatitis C, noting the obstacles to the program’s success, such as issues stemming from reporting new cases and having adequate insurance coverage.
San Francisco is trying to become the first city in the nation to eliminate hepatitis C, rolling out an ambitious plan…www.sfchronicle.com
- Howard Beck of Bleacher Report writes about the Sacramento Kings’ trade of DeMarcus “Boogie” Cousins to New Orleans, reflecting on the former franchise player’s combustible personality and the general dysfunction of the Kings organization.
NEW ORLEANS - In his final acts as a Sacramento King, DeMarcus Cousins played two minutes of meaningless basketball…bleacherreport.com
- Angela Jade Bastién of Vulture assesses the enduring film career or Keanu Reeves, observing how Reeves’ longevity mirrors the careers and laconic style of stars in Hong Kong martial arts films more than Hollywood action heroes.