February 28, 2017
Happy Mardi Gras! It’s the final day of February and the eve of Lent. Tonight President Trump will make his first speech before a joint session of Congress to outline his budget, so keep an eye out for any possible proposals for replacing Obamacare or details on infrastructure spending.
Meanwhile, in post-Oscars news, SpaceX announced that it intends to send two space travelers to the moon by next year; the Department of Justice dropped a case against Texas over the state’s voter ID law; and former President George W. Bush spoke out against the immigration and press restricting policies of the current administration.
Good luck on the week ahead.
The Wonks Team
- Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight continues his media criticism series by analyzing the impact of anonymous sourcing on media trust, arguing that sources often speak anonymously to forward a narrative rather than to provide insightful analysis.
This is the eighth article in a series that reviews news coverage of the 2016 general election, explores how Donald…fivethirtyeight.com
- The Washington Post reports on the president’s proposal to increase the federal defense budget by $54 billion, which the administration intends to offset by cutting spending for domestic discretionary programs.
President Trump will propose a federal budget that dramatically increases defense-related spending by $54 billion while…www.washingtonpost.com
Business and Economy
- Quartz assesses how Uber’s tight performance-review process and decentralized management structure shapes the company’s cutthroat culture where employees actively undermine their peers for recognition and advancement.
Corporate values were always an afterthought for Uber. The company was founded in March 2009 but didn't formalize its…qz.com
Science and Health
- NPR writes about a new psychological study showing the relationship of a person’s name in determining the shape of their faces while noting the ability of people to correctly identify a person’s name based on their appearance.
In my head, a person with the name Danny has a boyish face and a perpetual smile. Zoes have wide eyes and wild hair and…www.npr.org
- SB Nation previews the 2017 Major League Baseball season by ranking the six divisions and noting the likely contenders, middling teams, and rebuilding franchises from each division.
The Cubs are going to win the NL Central. After that, it's a beautiful mess.www.sbnation.com
- Kevin Lincoln of Vulture writes about “Moonlight’s” Best Picture win and evaluates the significance of its victory on distributors of independent films and the role of movie critics in determining the merits of a film.
There's little doubt that, hundreds of years from now, when our robot overlords look back on human history, the main…www.vulture.com
- Aileen Gallagher of Vulture writes an appreciation for actor Bill Paxton, who died on Saturday from complications from surgery, and argues that the character actor with an everyman persona did his best work as a the leading man on the HBO show “Big Love.”