January 11, 2017
It’s Wednesday, the midpoint of the week. In headlines, President Obama gave his farewell address to the nation laying out his case for rebuilding trust in the political process and our institutions, president-elect Trump received an intelligence memo of unsubstantiated but scandalizing claims from Russia about his personal life, Dylann Roof received the death penalty for committing the mass shooting in at a black church Charleston in 2015, and Fox News covertly settled a sexual harassment suit against pundit Bill O’Reilly.
Stay tuned for more stories on the presidential confirmation hearings and enjoy the day ahead.
The Wonks Team
Politics and Public Policy
- FiveThirtyEight evaluates the likelihood of the senate rejecting a presidential cabinet nominee, explaining the historical success rate for approval and the rare circumstances where an appointee withdraws during the confirmation process.
President-elect Donald Trump's Cabinet nominees are beginning to grace the hearing rooms of the U.S. Senate on Tuesday…fivethirtyeight.com
- The Washington Post’s coverage of Senator Jeff Sessions confirmation hearings for attorney general, highlighting his declaration that he would enforce policies he disagrees with and his record voting against protections for various minority groups.
Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) has taken controversial positions on immigration and the rights of LGBT people. He is…www.washingtonpost.com
Business and Economy
- Aaron Ross Sorkin of The New York Times analyzes the financial murkiness of the capital gains tax for presidential appointees selling their assets, arguing that the policy enables wealthy appointees to defer their taxes rather than outright avoidance of paying them.
"Have you heard about the latest tax shelter for the super-rich?" Brett Arends, a MarketW atch columnist, wrote…www.nytimes.com
Science and Health
- Quartz writes about a study from the Journal of Psychological and Personality Science on the connection between profanity use and personal integrity as well as the legacy of President Obama’s contributions to peer-reviewed science journals.
The next time someone tells you to watch your language, feel free to tell them to fuck off. Sure, swearing is…qz.com
US president Barack Obama has a little over a week left in the White House, and he is making use of the time by doing…qz.com
Sports and Culture
- Derek Thompson of The Atlantic attributes the 2016 NFL season’s decline in viewership to the general decline in TV watching among consumers, the “atomization” of content, and the league’s competition from the NBA for marketable superstars.